Coppermelt: Problem with heat?

Delta Hunter

Well, I received my coppermelt last Friday, but there was a slight problem. It was delivered via US mail and when I pulled it out of my mailbox I noticed the box was very light in weight and it had a stain on it. Also, there was a note on the box placed there by the postal service indicating the contents could be damaged.

Upon opening the box up I pulled out the plastic bubble wrap and noticed it was kind of wet and reeked of ammonia. I then took the bottle (3.5 oz) of Coppermelt out and it was basically empty. The bottle was not punctured or dented or anything like that. So the leakage must have taken place around the cap. I called Scott at Payson to explain the situation and to his credit he said they'd ship another bottle.

So, I'm wondering what happened. Could the 100 degree weather have caused pressure to build up inside the bottle, thereby causing a leak at the cap or maybe the cap simply didn't seal properly. I don't know and don't really expect anybody else to. I'm just throwing some thoughts out there for others to comment on. I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of another bottle of this stuff. I hope it arrives intact.

Dan

WEll I can tell you that here along the Gulf Coast of Tx, it is pretty warm right about now. I got two bottles about a month ago and they were very pressureized. You have to take into consideration the change in altitude as well as what ever barametric pressures are involved from the initial shipping point which might be in Can. to your location.

I am sure that the above conditions as well as our mild summer heatwave we have been having has some effect on it, especially if the cap had some sort of small defect in the seal.

CUDO's to Scott, and the bunch at Payson, they are a great bunch of folks to deal with and have earned some of my future business for sure.

Dan,
I had read a post on another site about the pressure build-up in a bottle of coppermelt. The person received the bottle, opened it up, and was sprayed in the eyes causing permanent damage. PLEASE be careful when opening a bottle and it's probably a good idea to wear some safety glasses! Food for thought!

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here's an update on the Coppermelt situation: I still don't have any.

I called Scott at Payson Sports on 7/22, the day the damaged Coppermelt arrived, and he said they'd replace it. Fine. A week and a half goes by and it hadn't arrived so I called and talked to Scott. He said the replacement bottle had not been shipped, but it would be. That was Tuesday, 8/2. As of yesterday, Thursday 8/11, I still have not received it.

I'm going to hang in there another 3 or 4 days and if it hasn't arrived by then I guess I'll contact my credit card company to dispute the original charge. A happy camper I am not.

Here's another update. I talked to a very nice young lady at Payson Sports today. She said they had lost my personal information (name, address, phone #, etc...) and were waiting for me to contact them. So now that they have the info, she said she'd ship the Coppermelt to me today via UPS. Hopefully, I'll have it by the end of this week or early next week.

Wow man sorry that things went wrong for you. I've ordered twice from that store and both times the bottles showed up quick.
Must just be one of those things. Despite the long wait you'll still be impressed with the stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.