Copper Peeling From Bullets During Seating?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Troutslayer, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Troutslayer

Troutslayer Well-Known Member

On many of my handloads copper has flaked/scratched off the bullet during seating- it is deposited right on the mouth of the case. Am I doing something wrong? My gut says that the flakes are going to end up in my barrel or chamber and I am going to have a harder time cleaning, also this can not help accuracy. I have tried resizing with 2 different dies, though my finished case neck size is a little bit narrower than the books say it should be. what gives- is the brass shrinking back to a size much smaller than it should be?
    Thanks.

2. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

Trout,

Are you chamfering the inside of the case necks?

Chris

3. ejones338

ejones338 Well-Known Member

Did you chamfer the case mouths?

4. Troutslayer

Troutslayer Well-Known Member

Yes I chamfered but it is nickel plated brass so perhaps I did not use enough elbow grease?

5. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

Is it a flat base bullet? I ask because I had the same problem with my 357s before I seated my expander die slightly deeper; I was using nickel plated brass at that time.

I just looked at midwayusa.com and they have some for high powered rifle calibers also... If that is applicable. You might have to crimp it slightly after seating it though.

6. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

I have had the same thing sometimes w/ boat tail bullets. I just ignore it (i do wipe off the little shavings) and shoot. I haven't noticed it causing accuracy issues but I'm not capable of shooting bug holes either.

7. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

I use one of these (or a similar VLD chamfering tool) to chamfer all my case mouths...end of bullet shaving problem.

Case Mouth Chamfering - Sinclair VLD Chamfering Tool

I even unscrew the bit from the handle and mount it in a drill press...then just gently press the case mouth straight up on the spinning bit for about 1/3 second. Easy as pie.:)

8. Capt Kurt

Capt Kurt Active Member

Not chamfering enoungh causes the problem you have. Also a little powdered neck lube would help. You might consider using brass cases. Easier to trim, chamfer and debur. Hope this helps. Capt.kurt

9. corey006

corey006 Well-Known Member

I have had this happen to me as well....doesn't seem to affect accuracy....I was always worried about chamferring the inside of the brass too much....guess have to give it a bit more.