Copper Fowling with solid copper bullets

hawk4974

I have read on several different posts from guys saying that the solid copper bullets (Barnes, Berger, etc) fowl the barrel more than standard copper jacket bullets (Accubond, Interlock, Game King, etc).

Is there any validity to that? If so, why? The only thing I can think is because the lead core allows the copper jacket to flex inside the barrel. I do have some Barnes copper removing solvent but I don't want to OVER use it and decrease the life of the barrel.

Any ideas and cleaning suggestions would be helpful.

IME no difference.

Solid Copper at the same speed as Jacketed, fowling of any type, IME is the same. same.

it seemed like some of the older mono bullets would do a bit worse in the fouling department than regular cup and core bullets. Most mono bullets now are either guilding metal and/or have relief grooves cut into them. The issue is rather moot now and it is more how rough your bore is as to whether it picks up fouling or not.

Btw, the barnes copper solvent will not wear your bore faster if you use it as directed.

ps., I don't know how you got the fowl into your barrel but if you try to do it again take a video of it and post it here; it'll get some laughs.

Having shot lots of Barnes (solid copper) and lots of Bergers (jacketed lead core) the only difference I've seen is the color of the blue that comes out of the barrel! They clean the same in my rifle:D

Barnes is a softer alloy so some suspect it fouls easier but reports are the new designs are a lower issue. They aren't a target bullet in my mind ($$$) so other than load development it's not like I will shoot a ton of them.

The barnes are solid copper guilding metal has some other element tin or nickel that makes it harder so less fouling. I shoot the Barnes bullets quiet a bit and love there performance on game but they do foul more than guilding metal jackets in two of my guns that are used almost exclusively for hunting and don't have a lot of rounds threw them. I have one that doesn't seem to have the fouling issue but it's my go to gun and has seen many hundreds of rounds threw it over the years and I'm sure the bore is more polished. I only shoot a few barnes bullets a year at game so a little fouling is of little concern to me in exchange for a bullet that works miracles out of a .223 rem for whitetail. My 10 year old shot a 8 point buck this year during youth season in Kansas with 53 grain barnes straight on shot took out three ribs top of the hart threw the liver and made into the stomach.

Barnes CR-10 Copper Bore Cleaning Solvent advises:
"This is a harsh solvent, which makes it work fast. It is recommended to apply a thin coat of oil after use"

A buddy of mine uses KG-12 bore cleaner for copper bullets. Its strong stuff.
Again, follow instructions and your barrel should be fine.

I've used both products without issues. :cool:

The old, or original Barnes bullets copper fowled really bad. The new ones are much better and if there is a difference, it appears marginal.

I had a rifle that fowled really bad from the old bullets. I had a hard time getting it clean until a friend recommended Wipeout. The stuff worked great and I liked that there wasn't an issue with leaving it in too long.

The old, or original Barnes bullets copper fowled really bad. The new ones are much better and if there is a difference, it appears marginal.

I had a rifle that fowled really bad from the old bullets. I had a hard time getting it clean until a friend recommended Wipeout. The stuff worked great and I liked that there wasn't an issue with leaving it in too long.

+1 The old Barnes definitely fouled worse when they first came out.

After a while they came out with there copper solvent to remove the (Pure copper) that the bullets were made of. they have sense came out with a new copper alloy that does better.

I had to Molly coat all of the Barnes in the beginning to help the problem.

Most, if not all of the new monolithic bullets are gilding metal and do not foul any worse than other jacketed bullets.

The old Barns X bullets are good bullets, but if they are the old solid copper ones, They will foul
badly !!!.

J E CUSTOM

I shoot (alot) of Barnes through my barrel, barrel is a Krieger, and as a matter of fact I keep a shot-log on my rifle.. long story short, current Barnes (LRX specifically, in my case) do not foul worse than jacketed bullets

I've shot a fair amount of Berger and Matrix both through this same barrel, and it's a noted fact that I've cleaned more copper out of my barrel after shooting them than I have putting the same (and even higher) round counts of Barnes through... could just be the barrel, I don't know, but in mine the Jacketed bullets are depositing more, an obvious amount more**

My cleaning regime goes: wet-patch dry-patch of mercury quicksilver (2 patches of, normally) removes majority of the powder/carbon... then ( 1 ) wet-patch dry-patch brakecleaner to degrease (mercury a bit oily) ...then accelerator + wipeout and leave for an hour. Hour up, dry patch 3-4 patches to remove wipeout (copper goes with it) THEN check bore for signs of copper... 9 times out of ten it's perfect. IF any streaks still are left, of copper, I'll repeat the wipe-out step and 10/10 times it get's what's left.

I've found the only time there is a need for the 2nd step with wipe-out is when, say a guy shoots solids for "x" number of rounds, then switches to Jacketed bullets for "x" number of more rounds, OR if switching powder types without cleaning in-between... some reason there seems to be a layer-effect when a guy switches and doesn't clean first* ( ? ) ...All this is my-own observations in my rifles, so take with salt (lol) but for me it's good as gospel. Wouldn't change a thing.

+1 The old Barnes definitely fouled worse when they first came out.

After a while they came out with there copper solvent to remove the (Pure copper) that the bullets were made of. they have sense came out with a new copper alloy that does better.

I had to Molly coat all of the Barnes in the beginning to help the problem.

Most, if not all of the new monolithic bullets are gilding metal and do not foul any worse than other jacketed bullets.

The old Barns X bullets are good bullets, but if they are the old solid copper ones, They will foul
badly !!!.

J E CUSTOM

+1

The original "X" bullets were a softer copper and were prone to fouling especially in factory barrels. They use a harder copper now along with the pressure grooves.

Solids do not obdurate the same as cup and core bullets and this is why they recommend jumping them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.