Copper fouling patterns

wildcat westerner

Recently I purchased Savage LRP in .243 at such a low price I was expecting a worn out barrel, and also ordered a match barrel to replace the factory barrel. The rifle arrived and the accuracy was medicocre. The Shilen match barrel arrived and we took off the existing barrel yesterday and replaced it. With the barrel removed we ran a borescope into it and I found the throat was fine, but there was copper fouling everywhere in patches in both lands and grooves. I figure with some aggressive scrubbing I can remove all this copper, but am curious about this copper buildup. Where do you expect copper buildup in a barrel to be? Since there was copper nearly everywhere in this barrel, but none in the leade, is this condition common?
WW

Sounds like it has never ever been cleaned for copper....Probably just cleaned w Hoppes #9 forever, and never with a copper cleaning agent.

Plug the muzzle end w soft earplugs and duc tape.

Pour Boretech CU 2+ into the barrel and fill it up. Let soak 15 or 20 min.

Clean out, and patch out. Your patches at first will be all blue.
That's dissolved copper.

When Patches are clean, and not blue, borescope again.

If there are layers of carbon as well as copper, you may need to alternate carbon cleaner and copper cleaner a few times before it borescopes perfect silver shiny steel color throughout.

Hello Veteran,
I recently learned about Boretech cu 2 plus from the maker of Badlands Bullets, and it does work.
The idea of plugging the muzzle and using the technique makes perfect sense, and I have some on hand. I will follow your suggestion. Thanks!

Recent Posts