Best copper remover yet!!!

These copper-cleaner threads always tickle me as everyone has their latest that is THE GREATEST. I want to see one of them beat janitorial grade ammonia, about $4......per GALLON!!!! Whatever percentage ammonia your cleaner has I bet this way-tops it...no way can you use it in the house. Chemists weigh in here please...is there any other chemical that disolves copper like ammonia and if not why not use the strongest (and cheapest) available?

I'd highly recommend you get and read the MSDS for that stuff if you haven't already. I'm planning on requesting ones for the stuff I have in my shop. I'm not entirely sure of what (if any) side-effects these uber-bore-cleaners might have, but it wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution.

Monte

August in Texas,
this stuff I was telling everyone about,
called Hunters extreme Copper Melt is not
straight ammonia like most HI-power bore
cleaners, it is an ENZYME with just a trace
of ammonia to activate the enzyme. it works
much better than ANY ammonia based product.
try it,if you can complain about this stuff
you are female with PMS
B

Brian I would gladly try it if I ever had copper left after what I'm using, and I repeat $4 a GALLON. As men we always say what we like is 'the best' but after using janitorial grade ammonia after other cleaners (butch's, Sweets etc) stopped working and getting all the blue gone and no streaks when viewed from the muzzle I figure I'm done.
And just ask my buddies, I ALREADY complain worse than a woman on pms.

One of the biggest problems for match grade barrels and chambers is the build up of carbon in front of the throat. Ammonia alone does zero for that.

My barrels were showing no traces of copper on the patch, or with light at the muzzle. The borescope showed differently though.

Use what ever you want, but unless you check with a borescope, no way of knowing how good it really is.

BH

I'll second that. I'd cleaned and cleaned until I thought the barrel had to be clean. Used Butch's, JB, Blue Wonder, SC, etc. Might have even used some Sweet's early on in there. Patches finally came clean. Had another barrel in for borescoping, so I took the new Savage along. Not one spec of powder fouling in the whole barrel (yay!), but while the bottoms of the grooves looked shiny like a lapped barrel from the button pulling thru, the tops of the lands were more like a file, perpendicular to the direction of bullet travel, and loaded w/ copper. Crap.

Took it home, gave it several applications of WipeOut, which did get out a fair amount of blue (not as much as I would have thought, considering how much I saw in there), then ran some patches of Sweets thru it, and they came out clean, even when I left them to soak. Figured one way or another, its about as clean as I can get it for now, and besides, it still shoots good. I don't like the copper fouling at all, but if it shoots... so what?

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts