Cooper Rifles

Buy a Cooper and you wont be disappointed. The only thing that I have any issue with the rifle is the magazine. But that is a small price to pay for the way the rifles shoot. They are very well built and perform. From .22 cal up to the big magnums every one of them I have been around shoots very well. My dad purchased the M52 Long Range in 28 Nosler. It shoots under 1/2 MOA very consistently with a 180 Berger Hybrid at 3190 fps muzzle velocity. Shot it out to 1797 yards last weekend. I have several custom rifles that the Cooper will shoot along side and give nothing up. Needless to say.. I am a fan. For the price i don't think there is a better rifle out there, until you get into some real high dollar custom stuff.
What was the problem with the magazines???
I'm thinking of buying a Cooper in 300 Win Mag.
Thanks, Kirk

I should clarify that the magazine is nothing that would deter me from buying one. But the problem is that every one I have handled is kind of a pain to cycle the mag. It does not clip in very well and if you are not careful it will fall out. Which in a hunting situation it could cause a great deal of grief and probably some choice words. My dad talked to Cooper and they told him to adjust the clip that attaches to the trigger guard and see if it helps (it did). If you pull the trigger guard, there is a small metal tab that hangs down to lock the magazine in place. It is held on by a small set screw with an allen head. If you loosen that screw you can adjust the position forward or back until it locks the magazine in place better. I pulled dad's guard and adjusted it and it helped a lot. It's still a "cheesy" design in my opinion. But if you get the tab square and adjusted right it helps. I would love to see them put a better bottom metal in their rifles. I hear rumor that they are going to offer a hinged floor plate in the future. Either way, its as close to custom as you can get without paying the 'custom' price.

The other major bonus to buying from Cooper, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is that the customer service they offer is really incredible. I have emailed and called Cooper several times. They are very prompt about getting back to you, and always willing to help with any questions or concerns you have. They will even help with load development if you need it. And if there is any kind of issue with your rifle, they will have you ship it back to them and take care of it.
Also, I believe my dad's rifle has a barrel replacement warranty of some kind. I have not looked into it very close to find out all the details. But, to my understanding, if you shoot the barrel out of your rifle, they will replace it for a really reasonable price. Which is awesome if you are shooting a lot or if you buy one of the "barrel burner" cartridges.

Yea you can't go wrong with a Cooper. I've had 2 backcountry rifles , just sold the 280ai and still have a 6.5-284. Both shoot great and as mentioned fit and finish is excellent. Neither of mine had a magazine issue I've heard about so maybe that's resolved. I see more Coppers in the future for me. A jackson game in 300 H&H maybe....

My new cooper backcountry magazine works perfectly. It fits tight and the release is firm so hiking through tough terrain I am confident It wont drop out. I would prefer a staggered magazine than a straight slim feed, but how it shoots is most important to me.

I have 2, both Jackson Long Ranges. One in 28 Nosler and one in .300 Win Mag. Bought the 28 Nosler first and was very impressed with the rifle and the way it shot, 3/4" with factory 1/2" with handloads. Based on that bought the .300 Win Mag and am disappointed with the way it shoots, best factory load is just over an inch( Federal Gold Metal ) pretty much the same with a number of handloads.

I have 2, both Jackson Long Ranges. One in 28 Nosler and one in .300 Win Mag. Bought the 28 Nosler first and was very impressed with the rifle and the way it shot, 3/4" with factory 1/2" with handloads. Based on that bought the .300 Win Mag and am disappointed with the way it shoots, best factory load is just over an inch( Federal Gold Metal ) pretty much the same with a number of handloads.
did you contact cooper, what did they say?

I did and did not really get a good response. They had questions about scope, I started with Nightforce ATARC and then put on the NXS from the 28 Nosler. Then my range set up/ shooting conditions and somewhat my shooting ability ignoring the fact that the 28 Nosler consistently gets 1/2" groups with my handloads and me shooting. They basically said that the 1" groups with the Federal Gold Medal (190 gr Sierra MK) was pretty good. The test group they shot was with a load using Sierra 168 gr Matchkings which I explained was to light a bullet for my use, also I believe their groups are shot at 50 yards. What really get me is I tried a number of factory loads including Nosler, HSM and Hornady match and most were in the 2-3" range. I think if I pushed it they would let me send it back for inspection which I may do. Just saying that Cooper is batting .500 with me. Also the magazine set up is not great although I will try the adjustment recommended in the early.

you gotta appreciate cooper's (and other mfg's) predicaments. lotsa folk aren't capable of shooting moa much less cooper's guarantee at half moa. and then of course scope, ammo and other factors all come into play. but certainly if you told them your other cooper, with you also shooting it, is very accurate, they should have you send the rifle back. certainly if they find you did something wrong (scope etc) you should have to repay the freight and even some sort of repair charge. but if they can't get it to meet their own spec, they should of course fix and cover freight to them and back to you.

hope you get this worked out, please update.

Good luck getting your problem fixed hidalgo. I hope they make it right and help you out. My experiences with them have been very good. But that does not mean everyone has the same experience I guess. Hopefully it works out for you! Let us know how it goes.

I can certainly appreciate Cooper's position as I'm sure that they get a lot of calls from people who's shooting ability, ammo, optics etc aren't capable of 1/2" groups. I just felt like the individual I was talking to was not listening to what I was saying and just started from the position that they never sent out a bad rifle.

Also I bought the 28 Nosler from large stocking Cooper dealer but the .300 Win Mag (new) off Gunbroker, if I'd had a problem with the 28 the dealer would have handled communication with Cooper and shipped it back. One disadvantage to buying off the internet.

I need to push it with Cooper and will. I bought a GAP in .300 Win Mag from Cabela's (got a deal) pulled the Nightforce off the Cooper and got distracted with all the 1/2" groups the GAP shot right out of the box.

On their $100.00 rebarrel fee for shot out barrels, does anyone know if that is only for those bought from new or if it covers used rifles?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.