Cooper Phoenix

krake22002

Hey guys im New to this. I'm looking at getting a copper Phoenix 6.5x284 for long range deer elk bear pretty much all Oregon has to offer. Is this a good choice will be reloading 140gr vld.? And by long range probably around 800 yards once I practice enough.

Yeah that should do it, I am not a fan of berger bullets for hunting i would pick something that retains weight a little better like an accubond or even a ttsx. and for elk I would pick something a little bigger like a 7mm but a 6.5 284 will surely do it. 800 yards you wont really see an advantage ballistically from the berger so its very low drag and high BC is kind of irrelevant at 800 and closer.

I have that exact rig and it is awesome! I am shooting those Bergers 140 at 3091 fps with in .1-.2 groups. Just started shooting RL-17 what an absolute awesome combo. Good to 1000 no problems.

At 800 yds, you'll be down to around 1800 fps. So, I think Berger is a far better choice than TTSX at that range.

Accubond may be a toss up depending on personal preference. It may just come down to what your gun likes.

Nice rifle!! What scope did you get?

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.