New rifle - Cooper 92 Backcountry

treillw

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 300 win mag Cooper 92 backcountry to use as an elk etc hunting rifle. Planning on putting a March 3-24x52 on it for a relatively lightweight package. I have a few questions and would like to plan some things out before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

Does anybody have experience with shooting heavy high bc bullets out of it? I'd like to use 215 berger hybrids or the 212 eldx. I don't think it will have any trouble mag feeding bullets touching the lands. Cooper told me that the mag box is 3.660". Judging from a different gun, I had the bullets loaded to a 3.625" coal - I know that's not an exact science, but in the right ballpark. Those bullets measured 2.856" to the ogive. Cooper said that it's a Sami spec chamber measuring 2.794" from bolt face to ogive. Based on my limited knowledge of the subject, it sounds like I can get the bullets to mag feed while touching the lands. Correct?

Second question. I'm considering having Cooper Cerakote the rifle. They charge $360 plus around $200 to have a finished gun broken down and reassembled for Cerakoting so I don't have to wait 6 months. Would you have Cooper do the Cerakote work, or somebody local? They said it doesn't void the warranty if somebody else does it, but I didn't know how that may change tolerances of bedding the rifle, etc. Also wondering if it is worth Cerakoting Stainless rifle? Does it improve corrosion resistance much? It would be nice for 10 day hunts without oiling the gun.

Has anybody mounted a pic rail on the stock for a modular evolution bipod? Any mounting troubles? Any recommendations on a rail with sling attachment point?

Has anybody replaced their break with a side discharge break for shooting prone? Suggestions on breaks that wouldn't look ridiculous? 1/2"x28" thread.

Last question! What ring setup would be best for mounting the March? What rings and rail (if necessary) would you recommend?

Thanks for help with any of my many questions! I appreciate it!

Treillw
I have the exact rifle you are considering. Cooper 92 BackCountry 300WM Matte finish action and bbl brake and thread protector included Tan stock with black webbing Also includes Talley 30mm rings also one extra magazine Would sell for 2200 and split shipping about 100 rounds thru ANIB Zeeman7243125563 pictures. Yes magazine is quite long and will accept heavier bullets easily. I used 200NAB and 190Nos LR and 210BVLD 6.2 lbs and shoots well!!

For anybody else reading this in the future, I'm pretty sure that the 215 bergers will mag feed while touching the lands.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/Qui...nce-Sheets.pdf

Based on this PDF, the base to ogive dimension for the 215 is .799".
The overall bullet length is 1.598".
Therefore it is .799" from the ogive to the tip of the bullet. (It's funny that the ogive is at the center of the bullet, I assume that is by design??)

Cooper said that their bolt face to ogive dimension is 2.794".
Add .799" onto that for the ogive to tip and you've got 3.593" for an approximate COAL while touching the lands.

Cooper said that their mag box is 3.660".
This gives you .067" of fluff in the mag box, so they should be fine.

Any flaws in my logic?
Thanks!

3.692" is touching the lands with the 215s in my Cooper 56. I wouldn't worry too much about it since this gun shot well at 3.600 and so does it's twin (buddy has the same gun).

Personally I would avoid dealing with Cooper unless you really have to. I think most of their guns are great quality but their customer service kinda blows. My rifle had a bad chamber and it has not been easy working with them on it. My buddy's rifle on the other hand is an awesome gun. Had it shooting in the .3s on day 1. I would leave the stainless alone if it were me.

Another thing I would do if it were me: Use lighter bullets. A light weight gun is not easy to hold steady, so the kind of shots where you'd want a 215 Berger are likely out of the question anyway. A high-BC 178-190 grain bullet would be better suited to the Model 92 in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.