Cooper or kimber

hI'm new 2 the board but have been long range hunting since 1992 in wisconsin we have logging trails or snowmobile trails on lots of public land I shoot down these trails with a bi pod. But to set the record straight I own a kimber 270 wsm select grade aa french. When I picked the rifle up I noticed the barrel channel was not centerd it looked like the nike symbol showed it to the gun shop and he was like I can't believe they missed that. It was sent back to kimber and I got it back with a super figured stock and apoligy from barry who is sales president. My kimber it is topped with a leupold vx lll 4.5-14 boone n crocket. 2007 was when I got it and I've shot 15 whitetails with it. 463 yds was the longest shot it is the most accurate 7pound rifle I've shot. Fast barrel to 130 gr berger vlds@ 3494 fps magpro 76.2grpowder. And a 0.293 3shot group @ 100yds I've heard some kimbers don't shoot well. But mine is awesome. I really wanted the superamerica but when I ordered it they didn't tell me about it. I. Can see that you could end up with one that won't shoot if the tooling is worn down and they don't do there quality checks when there sapose to. One thousandth of a inch could be the difrnce in a shooter and non shooter. But what I've heard is they have fixed all quality issues. I would say buy thekimber coopers are great except for single colum stack . You get a round or to less capacity. And I've ben shooting 165gr matrix 270 cals @ 3167fps. No problems with sticky cases I coat the barrel and bullets with ms moly. Allows me higer velocity without pressure. The bc on the 165grains matrix are 650 wow. Also when I shoot out to 400yds I aim right behind the shoulder and that's were the bullet lands. My ? Is I don't see drop from this rifle out to400 yds but ballistic tables don't agree with what I see.

hI'm new 2 the board but have been long range hunting since 1992 in wisconsin we have logging trails or snowmobile trails on lots of public land I shoot down these trails with a bi pod. But to set the record straight I own a kimber 270 wsm select grade aa french. When I picked the rifle up I noticed the barrel channel was not centerd it looked like the nike symbol showed it to the gun shop and he was like I can't believe they missed that. It was sent back to kimber and I got it back with a super figured stock and apoligy from barry who is sales president. My kimber it is topped with a leupold vx lll 4.5-14 boone n crocket. 2007 was when I got it and I've shot 15 whitetails with it. 463 yds was the longest shot it is the most accurate 7pound rifle I've shot. Fast barrel to 130 gr berger vlds@ 3494 fps magpro 76.2grpowder. And a 0.293 3shot group @ 100yds I've heard some kimbers don't shoot well. But mine is awesome. I really wanted the superamerica but when I ordered it they didn't tell me about it. I. Can see that you could end up with one that won't shoot if the tooling is worn down and they don't do there quality checks when there sapose to. One thousandth of a inch could be the difrnce in a shooter and non shooter. But what I've heard is they have fixed all quality issues. I would say buy thekimber coopers are great except for single colum stack . You get a round or to less capacity. And I've ben shooting 165gr matrix 270 cals @ 3167fps. No problems with sticky cases I coat the barrel and bullets with ms moly. Allows me higer velocity without pressure. The bc on the 165grains matrix are 650 wow. Also when I shoot out to 400yds I aim right behind the shoulder and that's were the bullet lands. My ? Is I don't see drop from this rifle out to400 yds but ballistic tables don't agree with what I see.

I have owned and shot both rifles and while the Kimber looked very nice, I was not impressed with the action which was rough and would bind when cycled quickly, a common fault. I'm not sure if this was ever corrected. Accuracy wise the particular rifle I owned struggled to shoot under .75MOA with any load. The Cooper is a semi custom, with silky action, custom grade barrel, bedding, and superbly accurate. I'd go with the Cooper.

I have owned and shot both rifles and while the Kimber looked very nice, I was not impressed with the action which was rough and would bind when cycled quickly, a common fault. I'm not sure if this was ever corrected. Accuracy wise the particular rifle I owned struggled to shoot under .75MOA with any load. The Cooper is a semi custom, with silky action, custom grade barrel, bedding, and superbly accurate. I'd go with the Cooper.

I have to agree with you...even though Ive never owned either a Kimber or a Cooper RIFLE....from looking at them etc...Id have to go for the Cooper if I intended on keeping the rifle.

Coopers can have problems (see here). I ordered a new Cooper in February 2012. After over a year wait the rifle arrived but it arrived with a barrel runout issue. returned to Cooper but it came back and it still didn't shoot satisfactorily. returned again to Cooper and I'm still waiting. So it has been over two years since I ordered the rifle and the problem hasn't been corrected yet!
Now, with that said, I do think Cooper makes a very nice rifle and that my case certainly isn't the norm. I'm just one of the very unlucky ones.

I have both a Cooper ,and a Kimber cooper is a M52 Excalibur 280 AI and it shoots the lights out but it is 8.11 LBS scoped ,and the Kimber is a Montana shoots .75-1" ,and is my sheep rig but it is 6.9 LBS scoped , I am thinking of selling ,and buying a SA cooper in a 708 as I could have a 7.2 LB gun that shoots under .5 inch and for that I could suck up the extra .5LB. The Kimber is nice to shoot ,and with a little extra work they are not bad but for the price I could get a Rem 700 light weighted ,and have a better rifle. JMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.