Converting Etronx Ammo to Regular Ammo

Rolltide83

Hey guys. I am new to the forum and new to reloading. I just recently bought some used rcbs reloading equipment in an auction and I am in the process of figuring it out. Also, I came across some new discontinued Remington Etronx ammo for a fair deal. I want to remove the primers and replace with boxer primers. I hear that the etronx primers are fairly valuable so I will be holding on to them. Like I said, I am new to reloading and do not really know what I am doing so if I ask a stupid question please remember I am new to this. First, I was and still am nervous about removing these primers from the brass. Should I be? Being that it is electronic igniting, I am concerned that possibly static electricity could set them off. How should I store the primers when I remove them? Can I just put them in a plastic container? Or should I store them in an old boxer primer box. Next, can I just pull the bullet, dump the powder, remove the etronx primer, install a boxer primer, reuse the same powder type and amount that came in the ammo, and reinstall the factory bullet? Or should I ditch the powder and reload a completely new round? Or should I find some brass to reload with and hold on to this rare ammo till I find someone who owns a gun that will shoot this stuff? I have only removed the etronx primer from one of these bullets so far, because I am uncertain on what to do next? Please give me some advice. Thanks.

That's a tough one.
You might have to call Remington because I don't know anyone who has ever used those much less anyone who has ever tried to de-prime them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.