Please don't laugh, Etronx?

Coyboy

Please don\'t laugh, Etronx?

I must confess, last year at a moment of weakness, I walked into a "chain" gun retailer. I found an Etronx .243, I called some reloading suppliers to find out if they had primers, yes 19,000.
Well the idea intruiged me, but at the time I had no experience with the rifle. Nor did I have the wisdom from any internet sites at the time. So, I thought what the heck I don't need It but maybe it would be fun to play with. I offered the clerk $500 for a gun they were asking $975 for. To my suprise the manager let it go for that.
My intention was for this to be a long range coyote gun, only problem is I havent been able to get accuracy consistantly under MOA. I've tried 85gr barnes, 75gr v-max and 55gr b-tips. So after learning from you guys that to shot long range its best to have a high BC bullet, I loaded up some 107smk figuring they would shoot better. {closer to lands, long throughed barrel, do not fit in magazine well, aprox 2970 fps} I havent shot the test loads for accuracy, but today I got to thinking maybe the twist in my tube is'nt fast enough for these bullets. Question is what is the maximum practical twist for these bullets? I think sierra recomends 7 to 8. Does anyone own an Etronx, and what is working for you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Please don't flame me for buying this thing, I Knew I was taking a risk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I will try to shot these soon as weather turns and report results.

Re: Please don\'t laugh, Etronx?

Good news/bad news---good news is no one is laughing. Bad news is no one seems to have any experience with the e-tronix. I've been in your position a few times---made a bid thinking they'll never take it and all of a sudden "I'm a buyer". Don't know how much you've played with powder but IMR4831 has never let me down in any 243 I've shot.

Whats the trigger like on the big "E"? How different does it feel compared you your regular rifles? Maybe you bought the Ford Edsel of guns--might be a little too different for todays market but in 30 yrs it might be worth some $$$$?

kraky1, I've tried H4831, H 4350, and Rel 15, with the lighter bullets. I'll have to give IMR a try. With the 107 smk I loaded with the same Hodgdon powders and Rel 19 and 22. I've yet to shoot them.
My big ? is has anyone been able to stabalive 107's with 1-9 twist?
The trigger takes some getting used to. It's basicaly a lever with a single pivot point, the only thing to give any resistance is a single small spring(adjustable) When the two contacts meet BANG. It is very instantanius, not like a standard trigger that you feel the sear break. There is no dicernable overtravel because of the electrical contacts stop all movement. When you fire a round you definatly Know it's not a standard action.
Worth big money some day; could I be so lucky? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

coyboy,
If your rifle is not a 1-8" then sierra 107gr MK will not properly stabilize. if you have a 1-9" then the berger 95gr VLD has the highest B.C. of any bullet you can shoot but they are VERY finiky try the Lapua 90gr Scenar or the hornady 87gr V-Max.
B
p.s.if you dont believe me just shoot your 107gr MK loads on a nice cold day and see if you can shoot a 12" group

Thanks BrianB, I'll try some of the bullets you mentioned. Your post made me very curious to see whats going to happen with those 107's.

Cowboy,
I have been using the 95 Nosler ballistic tips in my .243 w/good results. It is a Sako. Past 243's liked IMR4350. Not this one it likes H4350

Freebore, thanks for the tip. I've shot 55gr BT's in this gun, but they had to make quite a jump through the long throat. I'll have to try the 95's. There are so many possible bullet powder combinations, I'll just keep pluggin' away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.