cant seem to load straght ammo

I have read on other threads that some people are suspect of the die bushing setup on the lock-n-load press, in regards to its ability to perfectly center the die in the press. If you have access to a press with fixed threads like a RC it may be worth a try.

Slip an 'O' ring under your sizing die and DO NOT hog it down to tightly! I FL resize EVERYTHING I reload and it works! There's also some crappy brass out there so watch what you buy!!

The Rifleman's Journal: Basics: Resizing - Case Dimension Changes
I think this is the fix, it basically floats the die. I use a forester coax and its a floating die and the shell holder sorta floats and I have no trouble with runout. I would even try to get the biggest diameter o ring I could find.

It means that material was only removed from 70% of the case neck when the neck was turned, thus leaving 30% untouched. It is fairly common to only remove the highest or thickest portion of the case neck leaving the thinner portion untouched.

Basically 252º of 360º (approx.) was actually cut.

Dsmith1651,
Don't measure bullet runout with the probe of the dial indicator out on the ojive of the bullet. You want to put the probe as close to the casemouth /bullet junction as you can without touching the neck. A good start is to find out which die (if any) is causing your problem. Take a once fired cartridge case and check the concentricity on the neck (mid-point on the neck) on a case right out of the chamber , then on the neck when the case comes out of the full length or neck die , then on the loaded cartridge at the bullet /case mouth junction. note your run out at each step to see where the problem is originating and fix it there. 0 to .005 runout is the range you want to be in.
Hope this helps.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet tech

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advise.
I turned some new brass down to .0145 wall thickness for a 100% clean neck
I got the redding competition shell holders
I put o rings on my resizing die and seating die and made sure it was all clean.
Then I reloaded 20 rounds and all are within .002 so I don't think that's bad.
Now to see if the rifle will shoot better or if its my shooting not letting it get under .5 moa LOL
Thanks Duane
And measured a few shot unsized case necks and they were within a .0005 so that's good.

posts are interesting, but!
* borrow another seater, and see if you can see a difference. Never ever been fond of Hornaday dies and there seaters are even worse. See if you can borrow a Forster or even a Redding seater. Square up the seater before you start seating bullets. Try another caliber to see if the results are the same.

* What are you checking runout with? The Hornaday gauge is junk. Neco is the best and most accurate you can buy off the shelf. Wand type indicators are much more accurate..

* if nothing improves, the next place to look is the press itself. The shell holder is probably OK if you really are seeing .001" runout in the case necks. My guess is that it's closer to .0035", as it often doubles the runout loaded. Put an indicator on the bushing the die threads into, to see if it's moving under pressure. If it is, then you have a place to start. If the die threads are loose in it, you have another place to work.

If the cases are actually within .001", then the die is suspect. You might check the cases for a banana. This could make the case go into the seater cockeyed.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.