Does this data seem HOT?

Tyler Kemp

From the accurate reloading forums- 6mm Ackley data from a Rem 700 with 25" barrel.
100 grain TBBC
Reloder 19:
46 grains-2898 fps (they start here, although 46.4 grains is max @ stevespages.com)
52 grains-3424 fps (this is almost 6 grains over the max load @ stevespages)

Reloder 22:
49 grains-3115 fps (they start here, although this is 2 grains over max @ stevespages)
53 grains-3397 fps (this is almost 6 grains over the max @ stevespages as well...

Could anyone run these through quickload, and get some estimates on pressure? I don't want to get in an unsafe situation, never went over a book's (or knowledgable online source's) max. But, since I don't have a chronograph, maybe I am not taking near advantage of what my 6mm AI can do. Would 46 grains of RL 19 be too high to start with a 105 grain bullet?

From the accurate reloading forums- 6mm Ackley data from a Rem 700 with 25" barrel.
100 grain TBBC
Reloder 19:
46 grains-2898 fps (they start here, although 46.4 grains is max @ stevespages.com)
52 grains-3424 fps (this is almost 6 grains over the max load @ stevespages)

Reloder 22:
49 grains-3115 fps (they start here, although this is 2 grains over max @ stevespages)
53 grains-3397 fps (this is almost 6 grains over the max @ stevespages as well...

Could anyone run these through quickload, and get some estimates on pressure? I don't want to get in an unsafe situation, never went over a book's (or knowledgable online source's) max. But, since I don't have a chronograph, maybe I am not taking near advantage of what my 6mm AI can do. Would 46 grains of RL 19 be too high to start with a 105 grain bullet?

If you don't have a chronograph, it's wasted time to have someone run QL for you. The powder charge is meaningless without knowing the velocity. So many reloaders get bogged down in the "max listed powder charge". Velocity tells you your pressure, not any number on paper. Is 3400fps reasonable in a 6mmAI with a 100gr bullets and R-19? If it is, then you load up to that, and when you get there, you stop regardless of the number of grains. Again though, without a chronograph, you're wasting your time worrying about the number of grains of powder.

Ackley load development

Hello Tyler,

When I first started shooting AI cartridges I would use the average book maximum load for the parent cartridge as a place to start. If the standard chambering of the 6mm is good to go at your suggested charge, then try it. The second alternative is to load several one round tests of what you think will work, and try them.

In my 6 Rem standard I get better velocities with IMR 4831, and the shortcut H4831. I would think the AI would also respond better to the charcoal brickettes.

Good luck and good shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.