Conversion of 6.5x55 to 6.5-284

labrador

Hey guys

Does anyone know whether its possible to convert a 6.5x55 to a 6.5-284?
If not, would a 22.835 (inches) barrel be enough for a 6.5x55 Ackley Improved. I have found a really good offer on a Sako 6.5x55 but would really like one of the two other calibers mentioned.

Thanks for your help - Labrador

Labrador,

With both conversions the barrel will need to be set back. With the conversion to 6.5-284 the set back will be significant, with the 6.5-55 AI, it will only be a thread or so set back needed.

With the relatively short barrel that your starting with I would go with the 6.5-55 AI. The receiver is already set up for the parent case, it should feed very well whereas the 6.5-284 can require some receiver work to feed well.

Ballistically, they are basically twins for all practical purposes.

The 6.5-55 AI would be a better choice in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the advice, Kirby!
I am a lefty so the rifle at gunbroker is really not an issue, though it seems to be a fine rifle.

Labrador

HOW FAST WERE YOU GETTING 140 G. BULLETS OUT OF THE 6,5 X 55 AI, AND WHICH POWDER WERE YOU USING ??

THANKS.

"HOW FAST WERE YOU GETTING 140 G. BULLETS OUT OF THE 6,5 X 55 AI, AND WHICH POWDER WERE YOU USING ??"

I found this barrel likes the 129 gr Hornady SST's best, so I've been using those. I'm getting consistently above 3100 fps, with no pressure signs. I've been using H 414, loaded to a COL of 3.035" -- just touching the rifling.

Fifty,
Please could you explain why the barrel will need to be set back when being "improved" to 6.5x55AI.
I always thought that the idea of improving a chamber was to do just that without any other alterations at all.
OR, is this your preferred way to do the job, thanks.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

thanks. was it 129 or 139 grains ? i did not know they make the sst in 129.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.