6.5x55 to 6.5x284

JeepGeneral

I'm building my first semi-custom rifle and have settled on 6.5x284 as my caliber of choice. With the lack of factory options (aside from Savage) I have started to look at other calibers to re-barrel or ream to 6.5x284.

My rifle of choice is a Sako 85 in 6.5x55. Is the conversion as simple as having a gunsmith ream the factory barrel to 6.5x284 specs? A local smith quoted me $150 to ream the new, factory barrel but another smith said he will only ream new barrel blanks.

What are my options?

Thank you for responding. I'm well aware of the ballistic differences of the two calibers however my reason for the change is more practical. The majority of the guys I hunt with shoot 6.5x284 so I already have a pile of brass, bullets and load data at my disposal. A few years ago the airline lost my bag while on my way to NWT. My rifle made it but my ammo did not. Sharing ammo with my hunting buddies would have got me out of that jam. I doubt you can find 6.5x55 factory loads in Yellowknife!

According to the specs as I read them. You can.

Your smith will be the best source to confirm it but it looks right to me.

The Tikka looks like a good choice. The magazine box may need a little work but it's very nice to have a magazine in your pocket instead of a loaded chamber until you actually need a loaded chamber.

Thanks Fred, I'm working on finding a reputable gunsmith in my area. None of the ones I have found answer their phone!

Wayne York rechambered my Sako and fit it with a Pendleton stock. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 149
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.