Conversion question: Mauser 98 6.5x55 to 6.5-06

woodcr24

Hello All. Wondering if someone with experience can help me out. I have a Mauser 98, built on a military-style action (with the wing safety on the rear of the bolt), action made in 1913. I'm unsure as to the original chambering of this action, but I suspect that it was the 7x57. It was re-barreled by Norma in 1924, I believe, to 6.5x55mm.

My question: could this action be re-barreled to 6.5-06? The max pressure on that cartridge is listed as 60.2k PSI. I've seen quite a few rifles built on older commercial and military Mauser 98 actions chambered in 30-06, .280, and .270, so I expect that the action can handle the pressure of the 6.5-06 without issue. I do understand that the max CIP pressure of the Swede is lower, however this really has nothing to do with what an action that was originally built for a different cartridge can handle (at least, this is my thinking; tell me if I'm wrong).

For giggles, I compared the dimensions of the base, rim, between some 6.5x55 and .270 brass, and they look nearly identical. Also, the extractor on the bolt seems to have no issues grabbing the .270 brass. A .270 cartridge fits easily within the magazine, with room to spare.

Why am I doing this? I have several rifles chambered to fire the 6.5x55 (Tikka, m/1896, CG-63, AG42b), and I'm kind of interested in building a "Swede on 'roids" for a project. This would entail ordering a new barrel and having it installed by a competent gunsmith, obviously.

I suppose that another option would be to have the Tikka re-barreled. Either way, I guess.

Many thanks for any assistance that you can offer.

Best,

Chris

Hello All. Wondering if someone with experience can help me out. I have a Mauser 98, built on a military-style action (with the wing safety on the rear of the bolt), action made in 1913. I'm unsure as to the original chambering of this action, but I suspect that it was the 7x57. It was re-barreled by Norma in 1924, I believe, to 6.5x55mm.

My question: could this action be re-barreled to 6.5-06? The max pressure on that cartridge is listed as 60.2k PSI. I've seen quite a few rifles built on older commercial and military Mauser 98 actions chambered in 30-06, .280, and .270, so I expect that the action can handle the pressure of the 6.5-06 without issue. I do understand that the max CIP pressure of the Swede is lower, however this really has nothing to do with what an action that was originally built for a different cartridge can handle (at least, this is my thinking; tell me if I'm wrong).

For giggles, I compared the dimensions of the base, rim, between some 6.5x55 and .270 brass, and they look nearly identical. Also, the extractor on the bolt seems to have no issues grabbing the .270 brass. A .270 cartridge fits easily within the magazine, with room to spare.

Why am I doing this? I have several rifles chambered to fire the 6.5x55 (Tikka, m/1896, CG-63, AG42b), and I'm kind of interested in building a "Swede on 'roids" for a project. This would entail ordering a new barrel and having it installed by a competent gunsmith, obviously.

I suppose that another option would be to have the Tikka re-barreled. Either way, I guess.

Many thanks for any assistance that you can offer.

Best,

Chris
A Mauser '98 action that's in good/very good condition should be capable of handling the 6.5mm/06. Several of my personal rifles are built on '98s of known manufacture, 7mm Rem. Mag., 6.5mm/o6, 7mm/08, 6mm Rem. A.I., .30/06. Is this action of known manufacture (DWM, Oberndorf, Styer, CZ/Brno, FN)? Is it not pitted and in good/very good condition, otherwise? I did have the actions that I used that were made by DWM re-case hardened (Blanchard Metal Processing) before barreling them.

Shortgrass - many thanks for your reply. This is an Oberndorf Mauser. The action looks to be in extremely good condition, inside and out.

Best,

Chris

You are certain it is a '98? Receiver ring, 1.400", cocks on opening, distance between guard screws 7.835", OAL of the receiver 8 3/4", magazine length (inside) 3 5/16", bolt body length about 6 3/8", third 'safety lug' on the bolt body (near the bolt handle)?

You are certain it is a '98? Receiver ring, 1.400", cocks on opening, distance between guard screws 7.835", OAL of the receiver 8 3/4", magazine length (inside) 3 5/16", bolt body length about 6 3/8", third 'safety lug' on the bolt body (near the bolt handle)?

Cocks on open.
Measured with tape measure (calipers are at the office)...
Magazine length looks like 3 5/16".
Distance between guard screws looks like 7.835" measured on center.
Receiver ring looks like 1.400".
Bolt body looks like 6 3/8"; safety lug in front of bolt handle.

SN on this is 76996. Side of receiver is stamped "Waffenfabrik Mauser-Oberndorf".

Purchased from Simpson Ltd some time back. It was certainly sold to me as a 98.

I can post a couple of photos tomorrow if the weather here cooperates.

Consider doing a 6.5 Sherman and gain a couple hundred feet over the '06.......Rich

I recall reading a few threads that mentioned the 6.5 Sherman. I'm interested, but the question is still whether or not this action can handle the pressure. Secondarily, whether the existing bolt would work with this conversion. Seems like it would if the Sherman is based off of the 30-06 case.

I recall reading a few threads that mentioned the 6.5 Sherman. I'm interested, but the question is still whether or not this action can handle the pressure. Secondarily, whether the existing bolt would work with this conversion. Seems like it would if the Sherman is based off of the 30-06 case.

If the action is what it sounds like, it will handle the pressure and the bolt size is perfect......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.