A Mauser 98 in the 6.5 Swede

Railroader82

I bought a rifle a rifle a couple of years ago that's chambered in 6.5x55 swede. I bought it because I couldn't find a used 260 in my area and the 6.5 creedmoor was not around yet. I was wondering if someone could tell me about it: it is a Mauser 98 action with a Sporting Arms of Clackamus, Oregon barrel. It had steel weaver rings. I paid about 380$ for it and added a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40. It shoots well and I'm not sorry about the purchase. Does anyone know anything about these rifles? It would be great to know.

It would help to know who manufactured the Mauser 98 action as they were made all over the World at different times . Now that it has a new barrel and possibly a new stock the tag Mauser 98 is only relevent to the action .
If it's been customised and milled back in anyway then it may be impossible to tell where it is made .
Basically a Mauser 98 is a front locking cock on open bolt action with controled round feed type extractor . It is better for the extractor to feed ammo up from the mag as opposed to dropping one in and closing the bolt . Although some have been modified to accept a push feed now and then without harm and in an emergency the standard extractor will push feed ok .
Good German made ones make a fine sporting action but the military trigger needs replacing with something better like a Timney .

Are you sure it's a Mod 98 because if it's a Kimber rebuild it may be a Swedish Mod 96 or 38 which cock on closing the bolt .

Thanks for the quick information! I checked out the Chuck Hawks article and it seemed to pretty well nail it. My particular rifle doesn't have "Kimber" on it anywhere. Unless I've missed it. If I can figure it out, I'll try and post a photo. I really just use my iPhone so I don't know if I can post a photo through it or not.

I pulled her out of the safe to read the specifics. The barrel says Sporting Arms, Clackamas, Or., USA Mauser 98. Then where the barrel meets the action it actually says on the barrel 6.5x55. On the side of the receiver it says N.A.C RID. N.J. 27684. There is also something printed underneath the scope mount that I can't make out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.