controlled round push feed question

cohunt

can a single round be loaded into the chamber (not mag fed) using a controlled round push feed bolt design?

The-Winchester-Model-70-Pre-64-to-Current-Production-17a-numrich.jpg

I know with a push feed it can, and a controlled round feed it can not-- will the extractor claw of the "controlled round push feed" snap over the rim on the brass case? or is it a fixed extractor claw?

With the Pre-64 Winchesters there is always the chance of breaking the Extractor. Push the rear of the round into the magazine, even if the bullet head is up the ramp to the chamber (with longer rounds) will avoid the possibility of breakage.

Good luck

Jerry

It's all about if it's set up for it, the pre64s tend not to unless worked over to, the new one some will some won't. CRF that is don't with a sliding plate extractor will load it any way, most newer designs will.

Win 70 shadow is why I ask-- on my rem700 magnum I'm able to put 3 in the mag and then single load a round in the chamber for 4 rounds total...just bought a used win 70 shadow and wasnt sure if it was a good idea to do the same due to the different design, i tried a few rounds single feed and some would feed and extract, but others seemed not to catch the extractor correctly so I wasnt sure .

Last edited:
Some CRF extractors have a chamfer on the face on the extractor so it will ride over round which is in the chamber but be careful how you find out - if the chamfer isn't there, you might end up with a bent extractor...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.