Controlled Feed Question?

samson

I am shooting a 300 WM in a Mod 70 with a controlled feed. Is there anyway to change to a 'push feed'? I am loading for single shot-since COL is too long for mag. I would like to elliminate need to insert the round into the mag. in order for the control feed to grasp the brass. When I do this, the tip of the bullet almost touches the loading ramp. If it is possible to switch to a pushfeed will this hurt accuracy?

is it because you have a long throat, trying to touch the lands with a slender bullet?

Maybe consider removing the barrel and cutting off one thread or so, then re-chambering to effectively shorten the throat so you can touch those lands?

Something to think about, anyway...

Thanks, I never though of that. Is this a common practice for longer throats, and will it adversely effect the structure?

I really like my controlled feed action. That said, you'll need to discuss this idea with your gunsmith.

Other than ending up with a slightly shorter barrel, it should accomplish your needs.

On the other hand, if you really want a push feed single shot, you should sell your controlled feed action cheap to me and buy a push feed action.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.