Connected with the 26 nosler

LongBomber

I lucked out on my last day of my hunting vacation. My partner and I hunted hard for a few days in The kananaskis area in alberta, wearing the body out without any really good chances at a decent animal. I got back home late on saturday night and spent sunday morning getting everything ready to get back to work. Decided around 4pm to get out and at least go for a road hunt and scout. I pulled up on a powerline right of way and spotted a cow across a pretty sharp canyon at the top of a cutblock, I went to get my spotter and phonescope out for some pics and two more cows walked out. Then this guy, a 5x6. Here we have a 6point min and I couldnt get a good count as he was facing straight at me, about 540 yards out. He fed towards me behind some small fir trees, then stepped out broadside. When I finally had a confident count he looked like he was going to take off, but instead bedded down in the open at 519 yards. Great conditions, sold rest and not a fart of a breeze. On e nice squeese and he never got up, at the shot he lifted his head, stiffened up legs slid out and laid on his side. By the time I got down and back up the mtn to him it was pushing dark and starting to rain. One message to my partner and he was on the way. Spent the night packing through some nasty alder thickets till 4am.

I was using a 140 accubond in the 26 nosler, just a shade over 3300fps. I found the bullet just ahead of the off side shoulder against the inside of the hide, but lost it in the dark. It had a decent mushroom, and maybe a 1/4" of shank left. The bullet almost center punched the heart, and did some serious damage to the lungs, hit a rib on the way in and put bone fragments through the lungs. As my partner said - I couldn't have walked up and marked the spot to hit any better than that shot.

Congrats on the bull.
Congrats on seeing country as beautiful as that as well. The resolution on your pics is amazing.

morning, this is god's country. mind cleansing. always have favored the .264.

built a 6.5 magnum. a terror on north American game.lightbulb:)gun)

I was truely lucky to get a good chance at him. He is the perfect size for tender steaks!
Here is a pic of my back yard, One of my fav pics.

Regular accubond. First animal I have taken with a 6.5 accubond, but I have used the 30cal 165 and 200 on a few animals.

I have shot a pile of the 142 lrab and now around 40 of the 129's. Best groups I got with the 142's is around 3/4moa, and the 129's just don't shoot well in my rifle at all. Best group maybe 2moa. I quit working on loads for the 129 as I have never had luck bringing loads from 2" down to 1/2".

I got the most consistent accuracy with the 140 ab, 20 thou off the lands with 88gr us869. Which is a factory duplicate load, seated to length for my rifle. The other bullet I had good results with was the 127lrx.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.