Colorado Success

Hey Phil,

Congrats! Nice shootin'! Had to chuckle at your pics. I think only a Yank would pack out the whole thing. 4 quarters plus trimmin's on a bull that size = 300-350 lbs. Extra parts on a bull that size = 300 lbs. But hey, if you need excercise...

Gotta say, if you dressed him alone, you did good! Hope ya don't mind the ribbin' . Thanks for sharin' the pics.

p.s. What's the shiny bipod?

Hey Phil,

Congrats! Nice shootin'! Had to chuckle at your pics. I think only a Yank would pack out the whole thing. 4 quarters plus trimmin's on a bull that size = 300-350 lbs. Extra parts on a bull that size = 300 lbs. But hey, if you need excercise...

Gotta say, if you dressed him alone, you did good! Hope ya don't mind the ribbin' . Thanks for sharin' the pics.

p.s. What's the shiny bipod?

Naw, don't mind.
I can dress em out. On this bull help showed up before I finished.
But as far as packing them out, this Yank just kinda stayed out of the way as the local boys (Coloradians) brought em out.
The bipod is A-Square I beleive, it tilts and cants. Not exspensive, less that $50.00. Got away from using them, on this trip it proved it worth.

philny1

Congratulations on a beautiful bull and a nice shot.

I shot the same rifle! If I may ask, what is your load with the 225 gr AB?

JD338

Hey Phil,

Nice shooting and very nice bull, he was hiding pretty good in that scrub oak.:D

I have been meaning to shoot ya a note on it but have been busy getting myself ready for this weekend.

Nice bull!
Ah, oak brush. It's even more fun when it is on a 30 degree slope and you are trying to wrestle a dead elk out of it! Note to self, don't shoot one in that steep crap again!

I also am shooting a 338 RUM with 225 gr AB and a B Square bipod. It isn't quite as precise as a Harris but a lot quicker to get set up for a shot.

If you think oak brush is fun, just try getting acquainted with prickly pear cactus. You will learn to look before you drop prone, guaranteed!

Congratulations on a fine shot and a fine elk!

Sam

AB

NoslerAccubond001.jpg

Thought I'd post a pic of the 225gr Accubond that took my bull. Weighs 133gr, made it almost through the opposite shoulder. Retained almost 60%. Appeared part of it did shoot through.
First year using the AB, kinda surprised it came apart like it did. Also first year with the 338 RUM--love it. Got the job done, guess I'll stick with them.
Was shooting 165 gr SSTs in my 30/06 when I got my buck ( Home Grown--NY ), that bullet came apart on the shoulder and did not penetrate the chest cavity. The buck was quartering towards me at 125 yds. Put him on the ground, did an insurance shot--just to be sure.
Went to the 165s and slowed em down cause the 150 Hornady SPs were coming apart. I'll be working up a new deer load, probably the 165 AB.

They always end up dead in the worst places. Hard to tell the brush from the antlers. Great pics of a great hunt. COngrats and thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading and seeing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.