Aoudad Success

Congrats, just put in for NM this year. Did you glass cliffy habitat or what kind of country did you find

we were on the rim above the rio grande. Sheep were in the canyons or near water in mornings/during the day and feeding on the flat tops in evening. Happened to catch my sheep in the evening on a flat top. Killed him at approx 5700 feet of elevation. See pics 5CB47406-FC6B-40C4-B6CA-CF42AD48A32F.jpeg59121BAA-22BF-4C0B-B761-30DE8A113C00.jpeg23F487B7-5FB4-4A56-BC9D-B030ACA0ACE8.jpeg2CC95568-1FCF-443A-B9D4-12948AD6F609.jpeg

i recently bagged one myself. My wife tried canning some. It's awesome. Tastes just like canned beef.
All I ever hear is how terrible they are I just have problems killing an animal for the trophy and letting the rest rot so your post is encouraging

All I ever hear is how terrible they are I just have problems killing an animal for the trophy and letting the rest rot so your post is encouraging
I turned mine into chorizo. The flavor is great, it's the texture that's bad. I ate the backstraps separately and they were like boot leather. But tasted great.

I turned mine into chorizo. The flavor is great, it's the texture that's bad. I ate the backstraps separately and they were like boot leather. But tasted great.
Maybe a crockpot recipe and cooking all day would soften them up a bit

Pretty interesting scenario going on with these critters. Spent some time talking w locals. Not to get too deep in the politics of fish and game, but it seems they are suggesting in order to grow the desert big horn populations, and thus issue more tags, landowners need to get more aggressive about reducing Aoudad populations. Seems like the ranchers in the area are relatively split...some strongly desire to reduce Aoudad populations (for livestock grazing and big horn tags) and others like the consistent revenue from Aoudad hunters. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming years.

That being said, if this hunt is on your bucket list, I would suggest getting aggressive about figuring it out. If certain large landowners get aggressive about reducing Aoudad, the price could go up significantly in remaining areas with huntable populations.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.