Aoudad Success

IHP63190,
Congratulations on a great hunt, and thanks for the pic.s and info. Clearly your load and excellent shot placement got the job done! For my education, was the bullet weight retention and performance what you expected? Clearly it got the job done. Thanks MT

Nice ram! Congratulations. Thanks for the post. Thanks for the pictures.

as
IHP63190,
Congratulations on a great hunt, and thanks for the pic.s and info. Clearly your load and excellent shot placement got the job done! For my education, was the bullet weight retention and performance what you expected? Clearly it got the job done. Thanks MT
I wasn't sure what to expect. The landowner (who is a long range shooter/hunter) warned against using any 6.5 on Aoudad. My 28 nosler/Berger 180 was used to killed 3 sheep....all with extremely similar results. I think the fact that all the sheep "ran" 75-125 yard is a testament to the species and how tough they are. I've killed 25+ animals ranging from Javelina to bull Elk (many pigs/deer) with this gun/load combo...and until this hunt, the furthest any animal has traveled after impact has been approx 10 yards. I think I likely would have seen DRT action w a high shoulder shot but I was a little Leary as I wasn't completely familiar w audad anotomy. I'm glad I didn't hit any further back as the lungs dont extend very far.

Another hunter opted for a 6.5 PRC/156 Berger and despite decent placement, the animal traveled 400 yards and required a follow up kill shot. I think they're pretty tough animals based on my experience.

When I go back, I'll be using 300 PRC and Berger 215/Hammer 214. It's pretty important to break them down quick as they can get in some nasty terrain.

I've got a lot of confidence in the 28 nosler/180 vld combo but it does have its limitation....as do all calibers/loads. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot an elk at 75 yards quartering towards me.

as

I wasn't sure what to expect. The landowner (who is a long range shooter/hunter) warned against using any 6.5 on Aoudad. My 28 nosler/Berger 180 was used to killed 3 sheep....all with extremely similar results. I think the fact that all the sheep "ran" 75-125 yard is a testament to the species and how tough they are. I've killed 25+ animals ranging from Javelina to bull Elk (many pigs/deer) with this gun/load combo...and until this hunt, the furthest any animal has traveled after impact has been approx 10 yards. I think I likely would have seen DRT action w a high shoulder shot but I was a little Leary as I wasn't completely familiar w audad anotomy. I'm glad I didn't hit any further back as the lungs dont extend very far.

Another hunter opted for a 6.5 PRC/156 Berger and despite decent placement, the animal traveled 400 yards and required a follow up kill shot. I think they're pretty tough animals based on my experience.

When I go back, I'll be using 300 PRC and Berger 215/Hammer 214. It's pretty important to break them down quick as they can get in some nasty terrain.

I've got a lot of confidence in the 28 nosler/180 vld combo but it does have its limitation....as do all calibers/loads. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot an elk at 75 yards quartering towards me.
I've dropped 3 pretty good sized goats all with a 257Bee with 100 grain Sierra's. 2 DRT the biggest one ran maybe 25 feet. All were 300+ yard shots.

Yeah they can be tough--I have shot a lot of rams with a 257 weatherby , and my father in law with a 243 --with a 100-115 grain bullet--and when kept in decent range (under 500) it hammers them. I find most guys shoot them too far back. If you shoot them high on the shoulder or at the point of the shoulder--they drop. Personally I started using a 338 Norma and RCM not that the nock down is nessary but it bucks the wind good and makes shots easier at long range. Oh and it does do a number when a 225 layer head or 250 Elite hunter hits.

Nice ram...glad you enjoyed a few days in God's country

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.