Colo 2nd season with berger 230.

nicholasw89

Hello guys. Just got back from a very successful Colorado 2nd season elk hunt. Me and my buddy filled our tag Tuesday night around 5:30pm. Another set of hunters ran into a group of 10 bulls. They took 2 bulls; an 8x5 and a 6x6 I believe. They split the heard and sent 2 bulls towards me and my buddy. Me and my buddy were about 75 yards from them. We shot at this same time. My bull reieved 2 shots. After the second shot my bull dropped like a bag of rocks. Im using a .300 win mag, win brass, berger 230 otm, fed mag primers, and 74.5gn H1000. His bull took 3 shots to keep him from going down a really steep ridge. He used a .308 win with factory federal 180gn partitions. Both bulls were 5x4's. Upon field dressing the insides told the story. My buddies bull had 3 pass throughs in the ribs through the lungs. The partitions worked exactly like a bonded bullet should. When we got to mine I was amazed to see the internal damage the bergers caused. The bull was already dead from the first shot. The heart and lungs were soup. The entrance was about 1 inch across. The bullet did not pass through but did make it to the opposite rib cage and made a damage area about 5-6 inches across. I am very pleased with the 230 berger at such a close range. I will be using them form all my future hunts.

Entrance hole:

Opposite side ribs:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.