Cold weather action lube

meatyrem

I have a question about extreme cold weather and firearms. I have heard about how extreme cold weather and firearms not functioning properly. I have heard that certain lubes for firing pins can gum up in subzero temps and cause malfunctions resulting in the rifle not firing. Are there lubes that are designed for cold weather? I'm Planning on going to saskachewan next fall and don't want this to be an issue. Any help or though would be appreciated.

Meatyrem

We usually just make sure they are clean and free of grit and leave it at that. Two weeks ago I was out hunting in -42 degees and my rifle went boom both times it was supposed to.

I clean everything completely of oil and dirt etc with gun scrubber or similar... and spray the moving parts within the action with "Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant" being careful to not get it anywhere I do not want it, like surface of rifle. Leaves a light film of Cerflon and not being chemist I have no idea whether that would affect the surface or the stock etc..

Cuts friction, has worked well for me in cold weather.

I use CLP on my auto shotguns for goose hunting and on auto pistols. works very well in cold weather

I use REM oil spray in a can. Have not heard about this in really cold weather but its what I like to use. Lube, protectant together. Should I just put a light coating on after a good cleaning?

Is there any difference to using a grease or would a regular silicone lube be just fine. But I think i will have no problem with what i am using. IDK

I would agree with CapDog, keep it clean. If you must lube, do not use grease. A light lubricant like Kroil oil or Ballistol should work well. If you can remove the mainspring/firing pin assembly, do that and spray both lightly with Ballistol. The trigger assembly must be free of crud; clean it with lighter fluid.

In Idaho shooting starts during fall, then rain/snow season progressing into really cold. The secrets are to keep all parts the firing mechanism extremely clean including the trigger mech. I go with lube free.

If a lubricant must be used, I go with a very light dusting of graphite, very light and apply this during mid summer or late spring cleaning.

Worse than oil/grease in cold weather is water during the snow/rain transition period and temp is just below freezing.

I've had no problems in extremely cold weather and several significant problems in temps in the 28 +/- 3 degree range.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.