Clip on thermals

I didn't read all the replies but recently got a an AGM RATTLER TC19-256 with plans to use it as a clip on (attaching to the bell of my scope). I quickly learned that is not repeatable and would need to sight in every time you put it back on the scope. I decided to attach to the pic rail so it would be repeatable taking on and off using as a handheld until I'm ready to shoot. I found an ADM mount for my scope that lines up perfectly with the ADM mount for the thermal and ditched the clip on eye piece attachment and got a regular eyepiece. Now I can use as a handheld and in front of the scope. The thermal can be switched to scope mode as well and be used without the day scope.
IMG_1931.jpg

That's why I went dedicated, picked up a NVision Halo LR for fair price here, need a hand held for scanning, hole goes deep lol
Yes it does!! I still don't have one of my own, but that's mainly because I have other things I've been spending money on…

I also don't need one that will be clear to 400+ yards since the main area I hog hunt at is limited to 150-200 yards on a good night. Typically no shots further than 75-100 will happen. Just about anything out there will check the main box, but I also want something that will work past that in case I do go somewhere that I'll need one that works at extended range!

I really wanted the non-civilian market clip on, in a bad way, but the ones available were spoken for and they were not building anymore that could be had outside mil personnel.

What are the opinions of the "experienced" on the clip on thermal devices? Do they truly work as good as the complete scopes? If so, any recommendations on a brand or model? Thanks for any info!
I believe it really depends on your application, ie, the average (not max) range of your shot, and of course, your budget. I love the theory of a thermal clip on, but I believe it is a little better in theory than in practice. The clarity of the clip-on was not suitable to me. I went with a QD mount, but the thermal ends up staying on a particular rifle. That said, I have shot accurately to 500 yards on small steel targets during daytime range sessions when sighting it in. I would be very comfortable at 300-350 yards on critters at night.

I recommend you contact a company that markets multiple different thermal and NGV products. A company called Outdoor Legacy was extremely helpful to me, and about 4 different buddies of mine. A gentleman named Hans was wonderful to work with. BTW, I am NOT affiliated with these folks in any way. They were just a great resource for me and a handful of others. Hope this helps.

What are the opinions of the "experienced" on the clip on thermal devices? Do they truly work as good as the complete scopes? If so, any recommendations on a brand or model? Thanks for any info!
I believe it really depends on your application, ie, the average (not max) range of your shot, and of course, your budget. I love the theory of a thermal clip on, but I believe it is a little better in theory than in practice. The clarity of the clip-on was not suitable to me. I went with a QD mount, but the thermal ends up staying on a particular rifle. That said, I have shot accurately to 500 yards on small steel targets during daytime range sessions when sighting it in. I would be very comfortable at 300-350 yards on critters at night.

I recommend you contact a company that markets multiple different thermal and NGV products. A company called Outdoor Legacy was extremely helpful to me, and about 4 different buddies of mine. A gentleman named Hans was wonderful to work with. BTW, I am NOT affiliated with these folks in any way. They were just a great resource for me and a handful of others. Hope this helps.

I didn't read all the replies but recently got a an AGM RATTLER TC19-256 with plans to use it as a clip on (attaching to the bell of my scope). I quickly learned that is not repeatable and would need to sight in every time you put it back on the scope. I decided to attach to the pic rail so it would be repeatable taking on and off using as a handheld until I'm ready to shoot. I found an ADM mount for my scope that lines up perfectly with the ADM mount for the thermal and ditched the clip on eye piece attachment and got a regular eyepiece. Now I can use as a handheld and in front of the scope. The thermal can be switched to scope mode as well and be used without the day scope. View attachment 457520
AGM rattler TS 19 is exactly what I have as well ! for what it cost I'm very happy with it,but now that I'm hooked I'm looking to upgrade next year!
It's nice to set up on a tripod overlooking a field and using their app on my phone I don't even look through the scope.I scan the field left or right while looking at my phone with the app, then if a target appears that is when I mount the rifle.

One other quick note. I went with the Bering Optic Super Yoter R. I found an auxiliary battery to be mandatory for any reasonable timeframe. I love the Wi-Fi ability to connect to a phone or iPad and record pics/video or just as an alternative viewing source for companions and myself. I thought the directions were not that clear, but I suspect with any of these devices once you get used to using the menu options it gets pretty simple/routine. As with any tool we use on this forum, usage time tends to really improve performance.

AGM rattler TS 19 is exactly what I have as well ! for what it cost I'm very happy with it,but now that I'm hooked I'm looking to upgrade next year!
It's nice to set up on a tripod overlooking a field and using their app on my phone I don't even look through the scope.I scan the field left or right while looking at my phone with the app, then if a target appears that is when I mount the rifle.
May I ask what do you intend to upgrade to?

This is a vid from my pulsar. Elk is 110 yards.

To be fair this is a video recording from the thermal unit forward and not what that image looks like viewed through a rifle scope. It's great quality thermal recording but not what it looks like viewed through a rifle scope.

I didn't read all the replies but recently got a an AGM RATTLER TC19-256 with plans to use it as a clip on (attaching to the bell of my scope). I quickly learned that is not repeatable and would need to sight in every time you put it back on the scope. I decided to attach to the pic rail so it would be repeatable taking on and off using as a handheld until I'm ready to shoot. I found an ADM mount for my scope that lines up perfectly with the ADM mount for the thermal and ditched the clip on eye piece attachment and got a regular eyepiece. Now I can use as a handheld and in front of the scope. The thermal can be switched to scope mode as well and be used without the day scope. View attachment 457520
Pretty genius fix may wanna pass this on to ADM. Would be curious to know time frame mounting process and if it could be done in the dark of night without any lights.

To be fair this is a video recording from the thermal unit forward and not what that image looks like viewed through a rifle scope. It's great quality thermal recording but not what it looks like viewed through a rifle scope.
The image you see through the scope is good as well, only degrades on higher mag, to be expected.

Last edited: