Clip on thermals

1000yards

What are the opinions of the "experienced" on the clip on thermal devices? Do they truly work as good as the complete scopes? If so, any recommendations on a brand or model? Thanks for any info!

I've got an ATN clip on that I use with an AR-10 and a R700 in .308 that has a McCann rail. I absolutely love my ATN and the concept of switching it between rifles. IMO - the main downside is that adding a clip on to your rifle can make carrying a bit awkward and the added weight. It also takes a little more work to balance everything on a tripod. I hunted open fields in SC, so it wasn't much of an issue for me.

FYI - ATN customer service absolutely sucks, so I'd look at other brands.

Attachments

• ARMALITE AR10.JPG
    ARMALITE AR10.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 72
Sorry, I know you want experienced opinions, something of which I do not posses. However, I was looking at the Leica thermals, they seem to have couplers for everything, and if true with the brad should be a good option. I think it's one of the one's I'd like to try. The Leicas also clip to the scope so no need to worry about having a rail added to a rifle.

When it comes to clip on thermals I have a lwts and it works awesome, clip on in front of my dayscope and I just shoot through my regular scope and it is dead on, it was usedand still expensive, my buddies bought cheaper clip ons and they have nothing but issues, because they are not truly collminated, hence the cheaper price, they have alliance picked up dedicated scopes and are much happier

I dont have Clip on experience, but I do have dedicated and scanner experience. From what I've been told by those I know is that clip on is a wonderful idea that is not practical for most civilians unless you spend north of $15k. The new iray 4k model is a clip on for $18kish.

It's a very attractive idea. However, It's dark and critters are moving in, it's not that easy to go from scanning to clipping it on in the exact slot "blindfolded".

I've looked thru a few and hunted with a few..... if they worked awesome there wouldn't be any dedicated thermal scopes and everyone would just run a clip on. They work ok-ish with lvpo type optics like 1-6x to 1-10x. The lower the lowest magnification the better. You are focusing on a digital screen the size of a stamp so with some clip on's the image gets very pixalated. Also there is an "air gap" between your glass optic and most clip on's that has an uncanny ability to collect dust, dew and dead plant parts!

ATN and AT&T have similar levels of customer service.... they are both awful!! I for one will never own another ATN product.

Save your money and buy the IRAY bolt TL35 and don't look back. If you want something to scan with get the RL25.

You can buy great clip on's but they cost more than my first 3 pickups combined. I for one can't justify $15k for an optic when a $3,300 TL35 does everything that I need it to do out to 400yds in the dark. I could see coyotes in a wheat field at 900yds but the reticle would cover up the entire animal.

I'm looking into thermals too.…..I'm going with a Picitinny Rail and quick release base/rings!

Then I can swap over to a convent scope already zero'd in minutes….or visa-vera! memtb
That's exactly how I do it on my coyote rifle both QD attached and they both hold zero very well. I would recommend a Midwest industries quick detach mount.
IMG_5089.jpeg
IMG_5088.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got an ATN clip on that I use with an AR-10 and a R700 in .308 that has a McCann rail. I absolutely love my ATN and the concept of switching it between rifles. IMO - the main downside is that adding a clip on to your rifle can make carrying a bit awkward and the added weight. It also takes a little more work to balance everything on a tripod. I hunted open fields in SC, so it wasn't much of an issue for me.

FYI - ATN customer service absolutely sucks, so I'd look at other brands.
This is similar to my setup. It makes it nice to be able to remove the thermal and put it on a different gun or to use it to scan. I typically have it set to white hot with blue cross hairs that way I can use my scopes illuminated cross hairs and I don't have to worry about zeroing in the thermal. The blue cross hairs kinda disappear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230405-080813.png
    Screenshot_20230405-080813.png
    553.6 KB · Views: 54
Running a pulsar fxg50 and it works well enough. I can run up to about 10x without pixel issues. For me I hunt day mainly but also early morning dark hours so it's nice feature. I cannot say it's better than a dedicated. I would imagine if you run the right scope mount you can easily swap and be good on zero but I've not done this yet. Just what some experienced friends have told me. Using the pulsar as a scanner is so so. The base power is 5x and too much. Needs to be 2-3x imho. I have a scanner so I just pack both and I use the scanner a lot! As far as accuracy. It seems good. I feel confident to 500 but have hit targets to 750. That's a big poke for a thermal in my opinion.

Last edited:
I shoot for NVO. Demoed Yoter, a FLIR (discontinued to public), and an an L3 LWTS ($18-22k) Thermal. Yoter and FLIR are cumbersome to align. Anything over a 3x zoom, image became hazy, FOV limited and heat signature was not crisp. With Yoter and FLIR I could only maintain about a 1.5 MOA threshold, putting in and taking off. The FLIR was heavy the Yoter tolerable. Worst of all you are using or aligning the thermal crosshair to your scope or using just the thermal crosshair and ignoring your scopes cross hair.

L3, when using a $18-20k you get what you pay for. Clip on thermals in thr $16k+ are true clip on and go. Nothing to align. Light weight. No FOV issues since you are using your day scope.

Most middle to high end thermals have quality QD mounts like Bobro or American Defense.

Buy a quality QD rail for day scope and swap in between. I've had no issues doing this for the past 7 years.

I have only used two, one was available to the public and the other was not. The one available to the public was a lower end one and you'd be better spending the money on a thermal scope instead and be happier.

The one that is not available to the public was amazing!! They could make and distribute it for $6-8K, but don't need to since they already have a dedicated market.

If I was to buy a thermal in my price range, it would be a thermal scope vs a clip-on. I do love the idea of the clip-on, but also want to be happy with what I buy.

I have only used two, one was available to the public and the other was not. The one available to the public was a lower end one and you'd be better spending the money on a thermal scope instead and be happier.

The one that is not available to the public was amazing!! They could make and distribute it for $6-8K, but don't need to since they already have a dedicated market.

If I was to buy a thermal in my price range, it would be a thermal scope vs a clip-on. I do love the idea of the clip-on, but also want to be happy with what I buy.
That's why I went dedicated, picked up a NVision Halo LR for fair price here, need a hand held for scanning, hole goes deep lol