Cleaning up existing chambers

View attachment 180544

Sometimes good intentions don't work Out. this chamber was supposed to be 0k and only needed cleaning up. the plan was to set the shoulder back one thread and clean everything up.

After setting the barrel up and centering it on both ends with range rods it apeared to be very good. As soon as I started to clean the chamber up it proved me wrong and wouldent clean up correctly . I decided to keep going until it did and once it exceeded .0625 (One thread) i realized that it was a bust.

Just to see how bad the chamber was off center i continued to go deeper and when I reached .092, This is still what it looked like. This is the worst example of an off center chamber I have ever seen. so it is now in the scrap bin.

Just thought I would show what a poor set up someone did at the factory.

J E CUSTOM

Was this a factory Remington barrel? I'd like to know so I can stay away from them when buying a new gun

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this chamber. Whether it cleans up within 62 thou is completely irrelevant and has no bearing on performance.

Leave it to a fancy "gunsmith" in Texas to tell us tomato farmers when the chamber of my tomato "stake" is drilled out of spec. My tomatoes can't tell the difference and neither will yours.

I truly hope you are kidding !! If not I will make you a great deal on this barrel. 1/2 the price of a new one. it should shoot one minute of Barn. (No guarantee) :) :) :)

Also thanks for calling me "Fancy" I have been called a lot of things, but never that.

J E CUSTOM
Was this a factory Remington barrel? I'd like to know so I can stay away from them when buying a new gun

Yes it was, but I have found this problem with most factory rifles, just not this bad. Until now a Winchester coyote was the worst, it took all but .007 thousandths of one thread to clean up.

There is no way you can forecast a bad one until you check It. That's why it falls through the cracks while in Quality control.

J E CUSTOM

Hey Fancy Pants aka J E Customs....

Have you ever trued a big horn? Always wondered if mine is actually true. I've thought about chucking it up and checking but haven't had access to a lathe. This last rifle I put together is a TL3 and proof pre. It seems fine. I have the PTG action reamer, bolt lapping tool, and bolt face cutter for savages but the more I use the reamer the less I like it. It takes off way too much of the face to get to the lugs. It uses the raceway to center and doesn't address the threads or raceway. It's not a bad set up but it leaves a few things on the table for sure.

I truly hope you are kidding !! If not I will make you a great deal on this barrel. 1/2 the price of a new one. it should shoot one minute of Barn. (No guarantee) :) :) :)

Also thanks for calling me "Fancy" I have been called a lot of things, but never that.

J E CUSTOM

Yes it was, but I have found this problem with most factory rifles, just not this bad. Until now a Winchester coyote was the worst, it took all but .007 thousandths of one thread to clean up.

There is no way you can forecast a bad one until you check It. That's why it falls through the cracks while in Quality control.

J E CUSTOM

How was this barrel shooting from the factory? I guess the only way you could tell if the chamber was not concentric to the bore is very poor accuracy and or checking it the way you did. I would hate to know I bought something of this poor quality

You can tell just how streaky the edges of the cut are that chamber was ROACHED, probably suffered some extraction issues!! Personally I value my reamers too much to even put them in a chamber like that and try to fix it.
Kudos for giving it a shot JE!

Last edited:
How was this barrel shooting from the factory? I guess the only way you could tell if the chamber was not concentric to the bore is very poor accuracy and or checking it the way you did. I would hate to know I bought something of this poor quality

It wasn't shooting well enough for the owner to even consider hunting small targets at 2 or 300 yards. he said on it's best day maybe one MOA but normally worse.

I am surprised it was shooting that good The Winchester I mentioned was in the neighborhood of 5 MOA but to many 1/2 MOA is there limit.

J E CUSTOM

View attachment 180544

Sometimes good intentions don't work Out. this chamber was supposed to be 0k and only needed cleaning up. the plan was to set the shoulder back one thread and clean everything up.

After setting the barrel up and centering it on both ends with range rods it apeared to be very good. As soon as I started to clean the chamber up it proved me wrong and wouldent clean up correctly . I decided to keep going until it did and once it exceeded .0625 (One thread) i realized that it was a bust.

Just to see how bad the chamber was off center i continued to go deeper and when I reached .092, This is still what it looked like. This is the worst example of an off center chamber I have ever seen. so it is now in the scrap bin.

Just thought I would show what a poor set up someone did at the factory.

J E CUSTOM
I have had 2 of these recently. Both remington heavy barrels. One was a throw away the other in 300 WM heavy 26 incher. Ended up cutting the thread off and starting again. All good now.
Had a factory howa barrel that came in with accuracy issues. Turned out to have rifling that was off center to the bore.
20200114_125031.jpg
20200114_125031.jpg
20200114_125110.jpg
20200114_125144.jpg
20200114_125234.jpg

HOW WELL WAS THE GUN SHOOTING.....
Well...i would say the bulge in the side of the barrel from the first impact..and the next on the other side...and so on down the barrel...it may have straightened itself out.....;)

For the sake of education for all the novice shooters and those not experienced, would you be so kind to illustrate exactly what it is they should look at with this photo?
If you look in the chamber you can clearly see the bright new metal on the right side the left side is darker I don't know if it was Dycam or what but you can see only half the chamber is being cut literally

There is a shooter goes by Viper that shoots fclass. He also makes the barrel vises and rests. He purposely made his chamber . 020 off square just to prove a point. Yes he won the fclass championship with that barrel. If you don't believe me ask him. He's easy to get ahold of.
Shep

This is exactly what a well known "smith" told me about this chamber!
He said to me over the phone; "There is nothing wrong with that chamber, it is perfect."........he may have been right but the angle it meets the bore seems like a problem to me!.......lol......he offered me a replacement at a higher cost...
I refused....would you trust his work?

View attachment 180787
No, I wouldn't trust his work. Was this a brand new blank that he did this to? I've always wondered what happens when a smith screws up a customers barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.