Cleaning and bronze brushes

Lapuatom

Does pulling a bronze brush back through the bore damage your crown. I was told only push through the barrel then remove to pull back, or use nylon instead of bronze. I certainly understand the importance of a sharp crown and am up in the air on this and would appreciate any advice, and or opinions on the matter. Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

I clean w/ bronze brushes and pull them back through, no issues. If you think about that philosophy, pushing it through the throat/lead of chamber it could damage that too right? I don't buy it. A lot of guys have gone to nylon brushes. I usually soak w/ boretec eliminator for 30 mins to an hour, then bronze brush 6 strokes each direction down and back(12 total) then another wet patch, then dry patch till clean. Most my rifles have high end barrels that after initial brake in grab very little copper.

I clean w/ bronze brushes and pull them back through, no issues. If you think about that philosophy, pushing it through the throat/lead of chamber it could damage that too right? I don't buy it. A lot of guys have gone to nylon brushes. I usually soak w/ boretec eliminator for 30 mins to an hour, then bronze brush 6 strokes each direction down and back(12 total) then another wet patch, then dry patch till clean. Most my rifles have high end barrels that after initial brake in grab very little copper.
The rifleing in the throat is ramped/tapered but I was concerned about the sharp edge at the muzzle. Thank you for your reply.

I switched to nylon just so the brush doesnt turn blue with copper solvent. I've read lots of folks say that the crown is damaged by pulling the brush back through but I have not seen it in my own personal experience. Neither with inspection or on targets. That said, enough folks out there say it's a terrible thing to do so proceed with caution.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.