Cleaning; brushing; patching...etc.

Sully2

Anyone other than me have a hard time getting a cleaning rod with tip and patch thru the barrel? Almost got my rod stuck in my new 222 this afternoon.

I have at least 6 different STYLES of tips...from jags to slitted to ?? and at least 5 different patch thicknesses.

Only thing I never have trouble with is a "wool" ( cotton I really think) tip on the end of my ram rod.

Im about at my teenie wits end.

I quit using jags and things a long time ago. I actually buy a nylon brush that is 1 caliber smaller than what the gun actually is. I wrap a patch around the brush and soak it with solvent and choke up on the cleaning rod and push it through. Doing it this way utilizes the whole patch. If I need to scrub the barrel with a brush, I just switch out to the appropriate caliber and do the scrubbing and then switch back.

I don't know if this actually helped you or not but you could give it a try. It works well for me.

I'm with ya. I buy 3"x3" shotgun patches and cut them down to what works for specific calibers/jags. What I have found is good patches are key. I had some gunslick ones that were awesome. I then bought some "others" that kind of felt the same and they are complete horsecrap.

I especially like when I push the 17hmr jag right through the patch. I hardly say any 4 letter words...

I quit using jags and things a long time ago. I actually buy a nylon brush that is 1 caliber smaller than what the gun actually is. I wrap a patch around the brush and soak it with solvent and choke up on the cleaning rod and push it through. Doing it this way utilizes the whole patch. If I need to scrub the barrel with a brush, I just switch out to the appropriate caliber and do the scrubbing and then switch back.

I don't know if this actually helped you or not but you could give it a try. It works well for me.

It definitely does help. The brush will allow some "give" and let things slide thru the bore. Im trying it tomorrow...mucho thanks

It takes a little bit of time and doing it to get used to it. I just use regular size patches and a caliber smaller brush. If you get it stuck in there, just get a wooden dowel rod and put it in the end of the barrel and hit the brush out with a hammer. It will come out pretty easy. This cleaning method works really well

It takes a little bit of time and doing it to get used to it. I just use regular size patches and a caliber smaller brush. If you get it stuck in there, just get a wooden dowel rod and put it in the end of the barrel and hit the brush out with a hammer. It will come out pretty easy. This cleaning method works really well

Guess I'll have to pick up some .20 caliber tips and brushes. Thanks

The smaller calibers are the worst. It won't eliminate the need for patches, but you can minimize it, with the foams, and the Outers Foul Out (electronic) cleaner.

The smaller calibers are the worst. It won't eliminate the need for patches, but you can minimize it, with the foams, and the Outers Foul Out (electronic) cleaner.

I cant figure out why it goes thru my 22-250's. Not "easily" but it goes thru...and yet this 222 acts like its smaller in the middle..??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.