Christensen Arms Mesa 6.5prc range day 2 review

Bigeclipse

I am continuing on with my review of this rifle as when I was researching rifles to buy, Christensen arms came up as mostly positive reviews with a few negative reviews. I was afforded the opportunity to get out and shoot another range day with this rifle. My criteria for my rifle was something which was factory ready to go (that I wouldn't have to wait months for), sub 1 MOA with the hope of better with a factory load, a good fiberglass/synthetic sporter type stock, a good action, a good trigger, in 6.5prc caliber, and if possible a muzzlebrake or threads for a brake. This rifle checked all those boxes and then some. Range day 1 showed promise during barrel break-in. Now after range day 2 I am completely thrilled on how well this rifle is. The action is smooth. The ceracote is nice. The brake is decent enough for now (definitely helps with recoil). The trigger is very nice and crisp. I have it now set at ~2lbs. The rifle is shooting very well for my needs. All groups are definitely below the 1 MOA accuracy guarantee with most around the .5MOA mark using factory Hornady 143 grain ELDX. I would definitely recommend this rifle to someone looking for a budget friendly off the shelf rifle with some extended range hunting/shooting needs in mind.

Last edited:
I am continuing on with my review of this rifle as when I was researching rifles to buy, Christensen arms came up as mostly positive reviews with a few negative reviews. I was afforded the opportunity to get out and shoot another range day with this rifle. My criteria for my rifle was something which was factory ready to go (that I wouldn't have to wait months for), sub 1 MOA with the hope of better with a factory load, a good fiberglass/synthetic sporter type stock, a good action, a good trigger, in 6.5prc caliber, and if possible a muzzlebrake or threads for a brake. This rifle checked all those boxes and then some. Range day 1 showed promise during barrel break-in. Now after range day 2 I am completely thrilled on how well this rifle is. The action is smooth. The ceracote is nice. The brake is decent enough for now (definitely helps with recoil). The trigger is very nice and crisp. I have it now set at ~2lbs. The rifle is shooting very well for my needs. All groups are definitely below the 1 MOA accuracy guarantee with most around the .5MOA mark using factory Hornady 143 grain ELDX. I would definitely recommend this rifle to someone looking for a budget friendly off the shelf rifle with some extended range hunting/shooting needs in my mind.
what trigger does it have?

Your thoughts on caliber? Looking at purchasing a 6.5 PRC or maybe 280 AI in either this or maybe an xbolt one?
So far loving it. Lower recoil. Flat shooting to 300 yards. If my primary target was deer with very occasional elk I'd go 6.5prc. If elk or larger was going to be a fairly regular thing I'd definitely go 280ai. I haven't taken game with the 6.5prc yet but I have taken quite a few deer with a 6.5creed with no issues out to 400 yards.

I have a CA Traverse with the trigger tech trigger, says "FIELD" on it and I had to send the first one back. The factory was good about it and sent me a replacement right out. The first one would only go down to 3.75lbs and would not go any lower. The replacement is down to about 2.25lbs. haven't been able to get out and shoot it yet.

Thanks for your continued review. Been following your journey on this one from the start. Good to hear at least in this instance the Mesa is living up to the reviews I had read. Congrats!!

Thanks for your continued review. Been following your journey on this one from the start. Good to hear at least in this instance the Mesa is living up to the reviews I had read. Congrats!!
Thanks for following. I was obviously skeptical in the beginning and some might say maybe I took a chance with it but so far I'm really happy and impressed with the rifle. I will definitely keep up to date if something goes wrong.

I'm glad our Mesa is working well for you. I bought the Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC right before you bought yours. I am getting .75 MOA with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. Had 3 weeks to get it ready for a Coues hunt last week and I bagged a nice 6 point. (8 point for us Easterners)
Other than a few small picky things, everyone I talk to that owns a Christensen is happy with it. I would also recommend one of their rifles. Good luck with yours!

I am continuing on with my review of this rifle as when I was researching rifles to buy, Christensen arms came up as mostly positive reviews with a few negative reviews. I was afforded the opportunity to get out and shoot another range day with this rifle. My criteria for my rifle was something which was factory ready to go (that I wouldn't have to wait months for), sub 1 MOA with the hope of better with a factory load, a good fiberglass/synthetic sporter type stock, a good action, a good trigger, in 6.5prc caliber, and if possible a muzzlebrake or threads for a brake. This rifle checked all those boxes and then some. Range day 1 showed promise during barrel break-in. Now after range day 2 I am completely thrilled on how well this rifle is. The action is smooth. The ceracote is nice. The brake is decent enough for now (definitely helps with recoil). The trigger is very nice and crisp. I have it now set at ~2lbs. The rifle is shooting very well for my needs. All groups are definitely below the 1 MOA accuracy guarantee with most around the .5MOA mark using factory Hornady 143 grain ELDX. I would definitely recommend this rifle to someone looking for a budget friendly off the shelf rifle with some extended range hunting/shooting needs in mind.
What are your observations on the bolt fit-up? I bought a carbon fiber Ridgeline..300 wm...bolt was loose and sloppy until closed on a shell... I can't tolerate a rattle in my truck.... just think of what a rattle did for me on gun... especially one at this price...broke in the barrel and sold it...only gun to date I ever sold!

What are your observations on the bolt fit-up? I bought a carbon fiber Ridgeline..300 wm...bolt was loose and sloppy until closed on a shell... I can't tolerate a rattle in my truck.... just think of what a rattle did for me on gun... especially one at this price...broke in the barrel and sold it...only gun to date I ever sold!
I have a ridgeline in 6.5 prc and the bolt is tight. No rattle whatsoever.

My bolt does not rattle at all. Very similar to my "real" remington action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts