Christensen Arms Mesa

I've also considered that . So far only real down side I've saw on the Mesa is the mag box is short so you can't set bullies out far enough with Berger VLDs . But I've not owned one yet . I'd like to buy or build me a light weight 300 wm for elk hunting and deer hunting. I have a decent set up now that I will hand down to my son . It's a 7 mm colt ultralight rifle I bought in the 90s . I had issues with it but after a heavier firing pin spring and a trigger replacement to a jewel. It took some dlight stock mod yo get the trigger in . It's a really nice shooter for such a light rifle. I just finally can build or buy me a 300 to replace it . So trying do as much homework as I can before committing.

I'll throw in my 2 cents since I own a Mesa in 300wm.

The good:

I really like the aftermarket options for this rifle as it is a Remington 700 "clone".

The stock trigger from Triggertech o think is fantastic. It definitely has a cleaner break than my Timney 510. The side bolt release is a nice upgrade as well.

The M16 style extractor coupled with dual ejectors throw empty brass out easily.

The lightening cuts on the reciever, the holes drilled in the bolt handle and bolt fluting shave off a few ounces which I like.

The bolt handle is threaded and you can swap out bolt knobs if you wish.

My mag box measures in at 3.700 inches. I can load 181 hammers and 212 ELDX to the lands and still have plenty of room in the mag box.

The recoil lug come bedded from the factory. Note that the entire action is not bedded.

The included brake is a nice touch but it is a radial brake that is not as effective as the side port brakes I've used in the past and if you shoot prone, it kicks up a lot of dust.

With a full magazine, sling, base, rings and optic (Zeiss Conquest V4), it weighs in at about 9.1 lbs.

The bad:

I've owned mine for a year now. I have approximately 470 rounds through it.

I've tried 180/200gr accubonds, 212 ELD-x, 168/180 Barnes TTSX, 180 Sierra Gamekings, 181 Hammer Hunters, over H1000 and Reloader22.

So far the 168 TTSX bullets shoot consistently from .75 MOA to 1.25 MOA.

180 TTSX shoot about 1-2 MOA

The Nosler accubonds shot 3-5 MOA.

The 212 ELD-x shoot 4-5 MOA.

Sierra Gamekings shoot 1.5-3 MOA

I did shoot 1 group with the 181 Hammers that was promising. It put 4 shots into about .6 MOA then the 5th shot opened it up to about 2 MOA. Most groups with the Hammers have been in the 1.5 to 2.5 range. I haven't been able to repeat "good" group.

The good:

I really like the aftermarket options for this rifle as it is a Remington 700 "clone".

The stock trigger from Triggertech o think is fantastic. It definitely has a cleaner break than my Timney 510. The side bolt release is a nice upgrade as well.

The M16 style extractor coupled with dual ejectors throw empty brass out easily.

The lightening cuts on the reciever, the holes drilled in the bolt handle and bolt fluting shave off a few ounces which I like.

My mag box measures in at 3.700 inches. I can load 181 hammers and 212 ELDX to the lands and still have plenty of room in the mag box.

The recoil lug come bedded from the factory. Note that the entire action is not bedded.

The included brake is a nice touch but it is a radial brake that is not as effective as the side port brakes I've used in the past and if you shoot prone, it kicks up a lot of dust.

With a full magazine, sling, base, rings and optic (Zeiss Conquest V4), it weighs in at about 9.1 lbs.

The bad:

I've tried 180/200gr accubonds, 212 ELD-x, 168/180 Barnes TTSX, 180 Sierra Gamekings, 181 Hammer Hunters, over H1000 and Reloader22.

I did shoot 1 group with the 181 Hammers that was promising. It put 4 shots into about .6 MOA then the 5th shot opened it up to about 2 MOA. Most groups with the Hammers have been in the 1.5 to 2.5 range. I haven't been able to repeat "good" group.
Thank you for the review.

The good:

The bad:

Other than carbon fiber wrap, whats the difference in their barrels between the mesa and their ridgeline? I did a ton of research on rifles and ended up with a BA Tactical. I haven't been this happy since my wedding night. The gun is crazy accurate and I love how it looks and shoots - so far only factory ammo, but everything has been sub moa. Seems to me there is no difference other than some carbon wrap. Barrels, stocks, triggers, actions are all the same arent they?

I have a Mesa long range in 6.5 creedmoor and really like it. Great shooting gun but a little heavy full suit! My brother has a Mesa in 6.5 creedmoor and it's a nice little hunting rifle. Looking to get a Mesa in 6.5prc for a lighter mountain gun. You'll hear a little chatter on the web about the accuracy not being what they hoped . But 5 shot groups with a 300 mag in a featherweight barrel usually doesn't end in 1/2 moa groups. We'll see soon!

I have a Mesa long range in 6.5 creedmoor and really like it. Great shooting gun but a little heavy full suit! My brother has a Mesa in 6.5 creedmoor and it's a nice little hunting rifle. Looking to get a Mesa in 6.5prc for a lighter mountain gun. You'll hear a little chatter on the web about the accuracy not being what they hoped . But 5 shot groups with a 300 mag in a featherweight barrel usually doesn't end in 1/2 moa groups. We'll see soon!
For what it's worth, most 3 shot groups dont end up sub MOA. I typically wait 20-30 minutes between groups to avoid heat.

Other than carbon fiber wrap, whats the difference in their barrels between the mesa and their ridgeline? I did a ton of research on rifles and ended up with a BA Tactical. I haven't been this happy since my wedding night. The gun is crazy accurate and I love how it looks and shoots - so far only factory ammo, but everything has been sub moa. Seems to me there is no difference other than some carbon wrap. Barrels, stocks, triggers, actions are all the same arent they?
I'm pretty sure you're right. The only difference I've seen is the barrel.

With featherweight barrels I run 3 as fast as I can get them out of the gun accurately or shoot one wait, shot again wait, repeat 3 or 5 times. Both methods worked well with my model 70 featherweight 280 rem.

I'm pretty sure you're right. The only difference I've seen is the barrel.
I have a mesa in 300 prc. 1-8 twist . I have only worked with the 215 berger hybrid. I can get moa or up to .70 @100 yds with a few powders. H1000, ramshot magnum, and reloder 26. RL 26 doing the best i think. I did have to take the gun apart and tune up their bedding as it had run out into barrel channel and put pressure on one side of barrel. I like the trigger. It feeds so so. Ejection is so so. I had a rem 700 300 ultra and currently a fierce 300 ultra that both shoot circles around it. But its a decent gun and a work in progress.

I have a mesa in 300 prc. 1-8 twist . I have only worked with the 215 berger hybrid. I can get moa or up to .70 @100 yds with a few powders. H1000, ramshot magnum, and reloder 26. RL 26 doing the best i think. I did have to take the gun apart and tune up their bedding as it had run out into barrel channel and put pressure on one side of barrel. I like the trigger. It feeds so so. Ejection is so so. I had a rem 700 300 ultra and currently a fierce 300 ultra that both shoot circles around it. But its a decent gun and a work in progress.

My hunting partner has a Fierce Fury 7mm rem mag and that thing shoots as good if not better than my 2 custom rifles. The very first time I shot it I put 3 shots into .75 inches at 200 yards. I then proceeded to put 3 more into about 2 inches at 300 yards.

I'm not stuck on weatherby or the Mesa was just leaning to those two . I have a friend selling a weatherby mark v ultralight with a v5 scope . I'll probably go try it out if him and I can get together on price . If not I'll probably keep looking . Don't seem like the Mesa is giving as good as results as I get with my 7 mm .

Well guys I took my friends Weatherby's mark v ultralight out this morning. I was shooting 180 grain accubond over h1000 . I put five three shot groups through it . Biggest 1.2 inch smallest .7 and average.85 . For my first ever shots with it I'm satisfied. I bought it and look forward to playing with the loads and different bullets for it . I'm also going adjust the trigger he had had never done anything but sight it in . I think he didn't like the recoil which for a bench rest gun would be tough. But for a hunting rifle I'm tickled with it . I'll let you guys know later how I do with the different loads . I appreciate all your comments and thank you for your time . I'm pretty new to the group but not new to shooting. I'm retired Army armor officer. I've been loading for about ten years now. I've slways tinckered with triggers and lapping but I'm no pro for sure . I look forward to getting to read more on your site .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.