Choosing bullets Berger's or Barnes

Its surprising the percentages you'll see if you cut a few thousand head of wildgame a year of healed bullet holes, broken shoulder, whole arrows in places, broadheads, they can heal from some amazing stuff if a predator doesn't find them.
Absolutely true! I've seen some crazy stuff and talk with any taxidermist.

Apparently anything but Barnes... I'm far from but hurt but not afraid to call out ignorant BS. I shoot a couple different brands of monos and a few cup and core that I've found acceptable. Without my buddies stories and "experiences". YMMV.

and where did lightweights come into the equation?
The op is where the lightweight Barnes comes from

Its surprising the percentages you'll see if you cut a few thousand head of wildgame a year of healed bullet holes, broken shoulder, whole arrows in places, broadheads, they can heal from some amazing stuff if a predator doesn't find them.
Saw the darndest thing during archery one year, a buck deer running around with an arrow stuck in his head. I couldnt figure out how he was alive, we tried to take pictures but he was to far off when we got our phones out. I still cant figure out what happened with that.

I am going to call BS on the bear story. There is no way a 30 cal bullet busted through two shoulders and the bear lived. Sounds like a fun story to tell around a camp fire tho.
I get the he said type of stories, the guy who told me this is the epitome of a guy who does not embellish. It took a long silence until he got bored enough to relate the story to me lol.

I guess it would take you testing for yourself in order for you to be comfortable. If you are interested in more in depth scientific research you should read the physics paper called Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories. I'll get the link when I have a chance.

I guess it would take you testing for yourself in order for you to be comfortable. If you are interested in more in depth scientific research you should read the physics paper called Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories. I'll get the link when I have a chance.

I would be very interested in seeing the paper. I look forward to your posting the link. Thank you very much. I am on here trying to learn. I really appreciate things like the paper you mentioned. Again, thank you very much!

Saw the darndest thing during archery one year, a buck deer running around with an arrow stuck in his head. I couldnt figure out how he was alive, we tried to take pictures but he was to far off when we got our phones out. I still cant figure out what happened with that.

I found this photo on the Internet. I wish I sure whether or not to take it seriously.

Attachments

• 54C75B3F-CAB5-4C96-AFC4-7AB608922393.jpeg
    54C75B3F-CAB5-4C96-AFC4-7AB608922393.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 79
I've seen a Barnes 180 from a 300wm punch a hole through a whitetail Ribs and lungs, couldn't believe the lack of damage. A friend that guides up north had a customer shoot a bear in the shoulder and they never recovered the bear. The following year they shot that bear, it had scars on both shoulders. That tsx blasted through both shoulder and never killed the bear.
I guess which bullet failure happens determines our selection

I totally agree with what you have written here. My experience has been total devastation and great performance, otherwise I'd not be using them.

upload_2019-12-21_11-22-52.jpeg

Here is a representation of a Barnes LRX impact @ 100 yards.

people say these narrow wounds delay the killing time. I watched with my own two eyes this elk was dead in seconds.

sure it doesn't show the wounding of a lead cup n core bullet like this:

upload_2019-12-21_11-26-45.jpeg

However I cannot see a difference in killing. Bore a big hole - or shotgun the lungs with lead, the result is the same, with a well placed shot the animal is down in seconds!

Here is another shot with the Barnes LRX @ 701 yards, just clipped bottom of lung and took out a chunk of the heart. If I listened to everyone on the internet this deer would've been alive for days because I didn't get the extra wounding from a lead core bullet.....the result after impact?? Deer dead in seconds!

upload_2019-12-21_11-31-21.jpeg

I just don't see these issues others are having with Barnes. They produce excellent blood trails. An absolute MUST Where I hunt. The Berger's killed just as fast, but we could never reliably get exit wounds! Same with the ELDX.

I Have had great success with lead bullets as well! For someone to boast about how Barnes bullets will not kill effectively, I just don't see that as being relevant to the subject especially when the guys saying barnes don't work well —— don't always have first-hand experience.

here is my experience with em' hopefully the OP gets some intel from my experiences.

Last edited:
I've shot Barnes since the original X Bullets with great results but have always found broadside shoulder shots to be the best bullet placement for instant kills......and the faster the velocity the better! I've recently converted to Hammer Bullets!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.