Choosing between 3 Leupolds. Opinions please....

KTP

I'm getting ready to buy a scope for my 6.5 Creedmoor that's recently been finished building for hunting. Some steel targets but mostly hunting medium sized game out to 700.
A few items that I want in the scope for sure: 1. Leupold. I respect that you have your favorites that might be a different flavor, mine is Leupold. 2. 40mm Objective.
3. Adjustable objective or side focus 4. CDS
Heres the models I've narrowed it down to:
1. VX-2 4-12x40 AO CDS Windplex 1" tube (#120613)
2. VX-3i 4.5x14x40 AO CDS Windplex 1" tube (#170697)
3. Vx-3i 4.5x14x40 Side focus CDS Windplex 30mm tube (#170702)
I can buy the VX-2 for $160 less than either VX-3i. Both VX-3i scopes can be bought for the same price. While I like the side focus and the adjustment of the 30mm tube it adds weight.
Guess I'm stuck between the VX-2 and the VX-3i in the 1" tube. I've looked at both in the store and can't notice a big difference. (They don't seem to like the idea of keeping both overnight to compare late light gathering differences LOL) Big question: Are the VX-3i scopes worth the additional $160-175 over the VX-2?? I really value the opinions of the shooters on this forum.

Leupold are my favourite too...and I feel like I have one of each brand lol.
I don't own a vx2, but have a vx3, and I figure if leupold says the vx3 has the best light transmission at twilight, I believe them. I guess it comes down to if that matters to you.
Someone might have both and have actually done a low light test on them though. The vx5 sure has a lot of positive reviews on this forum

Starting from new, I tend to jump over the VX3's. Preferring the VX6, and Mark4 lines.
If I'm looking at something less expensive the VX2's have been good to me over the years.
Quite a few good deals on used scopes out there. Over the next couple of months, the new models start showing up, and post holiday sales get serious.

I'd caution you about buying a windplex reticle before you look through one. Leopold reticles are thick and the windplex has a hash ever MOA. IMO, the windage reticle looks like somebody scribbled across it with a sharpie.

If you are going to shoot animals at 700 yards, you NEED some windage marks on your reticle, it's not an option. Guessing is not an acceptable option when shooting at game.

That said, I'd get the vx3i with the windplex. Low light performance is very important in a hunting scope.

Point well taken Mike. I may actually stay with the duplex. Still struggling with the VX-2 or VX-3i decision.

I have a plain duplex on a vx2 on a 30-06 that I hunted with this year. It has coin adjustable turrets. I wish it had the finger adjustable ones. Still, 11 oz. scope that, if I remember to bring a nickle in my pocket, can dial out to 500 yards accurately enough (that's all I tested it for). For a plain reliable and useful scope, a vx2 w/duplex reticle and maybe cds turrets is a very solid choice for an everyman hunting rig.

That windplex though... I don't know what they were thinking. They need a hash every 2 moa with some kind of light, intermediate reference in between.

I have a plain duplex on a vx2 on a 30-06 that I hunted with this year. It has coin adjustable turrets. I wish it had the finger adjustable ones. Still, 11 oz. scope that, if I remember to bring a nickle in my pocket, can dial out to 500 yards accurately enough (that's all I tested it for). For a plain reliable and useful scope, a vx2 w/duplex reticle and maybe cds turrets is a very solid choice for an everyman hunting rig.

That windplex though... I don't know what they were thinking. They need a hash every 2 moa with some kind of light, intermediate reference in between.

I disagree, you're not able to accurately hold wind in unreliable hunting situations out to 500 yds with a duplex reticle. You have one reference, the duplex to hold wind with!
I agree the wind Plex is quite thick and clustered with Moa marks, but it's made for big game hunting, when you crank your scope to 14x, a deer is pretty darn big, plus the thicker reticle helps in low light which more often then not is deer hunting. It's not a target reticle, it's meant to get a big animal down when they're running away and your aiming center of mass and need to hold an Moa of wind cause it's blowing like hell.

In my own experiences with leupold, I would opt for the vx3i, I have found them to be much more reliable vs the vx1 & vx2.

I also strongly suggest the side focus, with that, you never have to move your head while on target, something that can make a hunting situation really matter.

I disagree, you're not able to accurately hold wind in unreliable hunting situations out to 500 yds with a duplex reticle. You have one reference, the duplex to hold wind with!
I agree the wind Plex is quite thick and clustered with Moa marks, but it's made for big game hunting, when you crank your scope to 14x, a deer is pretty darn big, plus the thicker reticle helps in low light which more often then not is deer hunting. It's not a target reticle, it's meant to get a big animal down when they're running away and your aiming center of mass and need to hold an Moa of wind cause it's blowing like hell.

Oh, I agree you can't hold for wind with a duplex. IMO though, the windplex is so busy, you can just as easily use the wrong hash. I like the thickness of the duplex and the windplex would be fine if they hashed it every two MOA but that reticle is a mess. For a significant part of the center of the scope, there's more black stadia than field image. If Leopold wised up and made more scopes with reticles/turrets in mils, there wouldn't be this problem. As for holding wind, the average open country shot is 230 yards and that's close enough for kentucky windage. I also can dial for wind and add or subtract for variations with kentucky windage from there. I'm not knocking good moa/mil reticles. I just appreciate the simplicity of a light, reliable scope that covers most of my needs.

Oh, I agree you can't hold for wind with a duplex. IMO though, the windplex is so busy, you can just as easily use the wrong hash. I like the thickness of the duplex and the windplex would be fine if they hashed it every two MOA but that reticle is a mess. For a significant part of the center of the scope, there's more black stadia than field image. If Leopold wised up and made more scopes with reticles/turrets in mils, there wouldn't be this problem. As for holding wind, the average open country shot is 230 yards and that's close enough for kentucky windage. I also can dial for wind and add or subtract for variations with kentucky windage from there. I'm not knocking good moa/mil reticles. I just appreciate the simplicity of a light, reliable scope that covers most of my needs.

But the op did state he wants to hunt to 700...a duplex doesn't give the tools you need for that.
They make a vx5 with the impact 29 reticle. That's what I would consider. You don't even need to dial by using hashes and dots. I have that same reticle on a vx3lrp, works great. Some people think it's busy, but look through a Horus or tremor reticle, lol.

If this is going to be your primary hunting rifle, Buy the best scope you can afford. Spend a little more and get everything you want. (Don't cut corners).

I would recommend a 30mm tube and side focus + a 50mm objective
For better light transmission. Hunting in all conditions requires the best light gathering possible.

Turrets with the external adjustments will work best at longer distances
for accuracy. (I like the lower ones, Not the target knobs) also For your requirements I would recommend something in a 4x14 for all round use.
To much power can limit your hunting.

I know these requirements are more than you want to pay for, but when you look at the difference in price you will be glad you bought
the top end. So my recommendation would be ether a VX-3 or a MK-4.

Just a recommendation

J E CUSTOM

The vx3 4.5-14 LR should fit the bill well. 30mm tube, side focus, and the b&c reticle should get you **** near to 700 yds in the glass.

Using my 7 WSM and 180 eld-m loads as an example a 300 yd zero is 2.5" high at 100 yds and the reticle would get me to 680yds

I actually have one of these scopes in the safe as the rifle it was on was torn down to build a heavy 300wm so I put bigger glass on it.

If your interested let me know as I should probably sell it

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.