Check my logic: minimally headspaced brass

Belted Mags have gotten a bad knock for years about brass separation because most brass stretch alot on the first firing because it headspaced off the belt and stretch alot at the shoulder even using headspace guages. Its why the .010 longer brass now and people are starting to headspace off the shoulder just like any other cartridge.

If the O.P sets his gun up to 0 headspace on the guages and his brass is long like he says it is will the bolt close? Maybe maybe not but if it doesn't whats he to do if throw the brass in the garbage if the die won't size it or increase the headspace to fit the brass. Increasing the headspace to fit the brass will not hurt a thing as long as IT FITS THE BRASS without excessive headspace no matter what the guages say. Dies gotta work properly also like GL stated above.
The gages are one measurement that doesn't change the multiple pieces of brass could possible be diff from case to case if you create headspace to accomodate defective oversize brass thats excessive for that chambering then fire a factoty round you could cause problems I would try to make the brass work without creating excessive head space that a factory round cant be fired in

Just FL size it right off the bat. You have to either neck size or mandrel first anyway. Why change the rifle to fit the brass, unless you got like 1000 pcs.
To be more specific the go gauge should measure 1.6586 most ammo manufacturer allow 004 too 006 thosandths depending the manufacturer and cartridge when reloading in a situation of what your doing you need to determine your length of your chamber compaired to a go gauge then the length of your sized brass to that lenght I

All im answering is the O.P. question. Is it dangerous to do what he wants to. NO as long as the brass doesn't create excessive headspace.
Lance is right, if the dies will size the brass to work thats the best option if not either throw the brass away or increase headspace to fit.

Check your logic? Your logic, on reading, seems to me like stuff I did in my 20;s and 30's, that I look back on and say, "what the heck was I thinking?"

It's a Pandora's Box.

They call them blems, but they're sold off SPS because their QA/QC deemed them defective. So you break something that works to accommodate something that's broke. Kinda like spending $100 to save 20¢.
Full size them, toss the ones that won't fit and chock it up to learning.

You can set the head space with the brass if you know what you're doing with a barrel nut set-up.
Personally, I would size the the brass until it measured the same as the chamber and reduce that measurement 1 thou'.
This is essentially what I do for my comp brass, it gets fired 3 times with only neck sizing then gets bumped to give me 1 thou' off the chamber specs. Then it is kept at that measurement.
Fire a case 3 times and use that as your datum.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the comments—you have confirmed what I had been thinking:

- potential for die to not be able to size all the way down (if brass becomes too long)

- make sure to isolate for variances—if going this route, don't shoot factory or standard-sized brass since those will have excessive headspace. As long as all brass fired in the modified condition are the same (long in the shoulder), then it should not be a problem.

For those wondering, I will not be resetting the headspace just to accommodate this batch of brass—wanted to use this as an excercise to learn from those who have more experience being students of chambers and headspace. Thanks again.

I picked up some new (non-belted) brass that the manufacturer says is at max shoulder length and therefore should be full-length sized before using. (It is long at the shoulder, which I suppose technically would be minimal headspace). From my comparator it sits just about the point where my other brass needs bumping, so it's not freakishly long.

If one has a Savage (ie easy to set headspace with barrel nut), any issues with just headspacing the barrel a tad long—snug against this minimally-headspaced brass and firing? (Yes—I get that one would then want to reset the headspace after going through the first re-sizing).

Not saying I won't go ahead and FL-size all the brass first, but wanted to use this situation as an example to learn.
Why go to the trouble changing your head space your resizing die is going to take it back to where it needs to be any way I resize all my new brass just to true the necks it's a fast process I don't even use case lube on my new cases because they are close to speck and don't move much. David

Have you tried the brass in the rifle to see if the bolt will close? I wouldn't change the rifle setup to accommodate brass. If you cannot close the bolt with a case in the chamber just progressively FL size it until it will close then trim case to proper length if it gets too long.

Belted Mags have gotten a bad knock for years about brass separation because most brass stretch alot on the first firing because it headspaced off the belt and stretch alot at the shoulder even using headspace guages. Its why the .010 longer brass now and people are starting to headspace off the shoulder just like any other cartridge.

I don't own any rifle chamber for a belted case, but if I did I'd pretend that the belt wasn't there.

Why go to the trouble changing your head space your resizing die is going to take it back to where it needs to be any way I resize all my new brass just to true the necks it's a fast process I don't even use case lube on my new cases because they are close to speck and don't move much. David

If you re-headspace your barrel by .010 just use a .010 thickness shim to set your die so it's .010 short of touching the shellholder.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.