Check my list

piutemike

I'm going to try some reloading for my M7 300 SAUM. When I bought the gun it came with a new RCBS press and a RCBS die set. Full length sizing die and a seating die. I have just purchased a Rcbs chargemaster scale and dispenser, ABC's of reloading book, 100 Rem brass, shell holder, dial calipers, Sinclair concentricity guage, primer pocket brush, hand bullet puller, 50 168 gr. Barnes TSX, and 50 180 gr. TSX. ( I'm in a lead ban area in Ca. for hunting and I want to develope loads to hunt with.)

I have never done this before and made my list of items off various reloading threads. What else do I need besides practice?

I gather there are better dies but I want to try these before I go buy something else, and I don't know how long I'm going to be shooting that round. I'll probably call Kirby down the road and upgrade my boom stick.

Any advice is appreciated. I've been getting great advice so far, The Basics, Long Range Optics,( Should be ordering my NF tomorrow from Lerch) and now reloading.

First, get you some stoney point / Hornady gauges to attach to your calipers. They make 2 sets and you might as well get them both. One set is for measuring the overall length to the ogive of your finished round, the other is called a headspace gauge, and it measures from a point on the shoulder to the base. This second set will be used to setup your dies once you have some once fired brass. You'll want to set them up so they push your shoulder back about .001".

Here are links to them on Midway - just to make sure you understand the sets that I'm talking about.
MidwayUSA - Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator

Here is the bullet comparator kit (they also make a small kit with less bushings)
MidwayUSA - Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Complete Set with 14 Inserts

Next thing. Take 20 of your brass and set the other 80 aside. That way if you mess up, you've only screwed 20 brass.

Last thing, read the book, take your time and have fun.

AJ

ps: If you get stuck, just post your question here.

Thanks AJ, I"m sure I wil get stuck somewhere along the way.

Case trimmer? Just saw that on an old thread. I think I will need one of those too? Preferences anyone?

Thanks AJ, I"m sure I wil get stuck somewhere along the way.

Case trimmer? Just saw that on an old thread. I think I will need one of those too? Preferences anyone?

You won't need a case trimmer at first. I like the Forster Original, but the RCBS works just as good. I haven't had any experience with power trimmers.

After a few reloads, your cases will lengthen slightly. Keeping them all the same length and (more importantly) keeping the neck opening square, helps keep bullets straight and neck tension consistent.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.