Check my logic: minimally headspaced brass

What if the die won't size it back enough?
Call it a 6.5 prc plus wildcat and send a piece of brass to redding and have a die made for it specifically for that bunch of brass you can fire forn the others to match up it would be one of a kind might even gain another half grain of powder space just kidding

Call it a 6.5 prc plus wildcat and send a piece of brass to redding and have a die made for it specifically for that bunch of brass you can fire forn the others to match up it would be one of a kind might even gain another half grain of powder space just kidding
I've got 2 dies that I have to grind. 010 off the top of the shellholders to bump back .002 on chambers that are headspaced with go and no go guages.
So if the brass is .010 longer than I should be lets say, same question will the die size it back far enough.

I've got 2 dies that I have to grind. 010 off the top of the shellholders to bump back .002 on chambers that are headspaced with go and no go guages.
So if the brass is .010 longer than I should be lets say, same question will the die size it back far enough.
What's the likelihood that a standard FL die will be .010 too long?

I dont know, they are 2 different brands and 2 different chambers- Calibers. Its why I always say you might as well throw the instructions in the die box in the garbage because without a comparator its all guessing how far your bumping your shoulders.

What's the likelihood that a standard FL die will be .010 too long?
The question should be; what's the likelihood of a chamber being .010" too short?
I set my 375 Weatherby chamber to be absolute minimum in head to shoulder datum. That was a mistake. Either RCBS or Redding dies WOULD NOT move the shoulder with the shell holder in hard contact with the die bottom.
Had to trim .010" off a shell holder just to get .001" reduction in head to datum length.
It is quite common to get long dies, have the same trouble with many of my own chambered barrels with minimum chamber headspace. The die may be at maximum tolerance while the chamber is at minimum.
Anyway, if the OP sizes the cases to just fit his chamber, there will be zero issues with the die sizing the brass.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.