Cheap tactical scopes (MIL turret)

1649090096442.png

Element Optics Helix. Its like the Vortex Diamondback tactical but has better turrets, and is overall better done. SWFA is great but I don't think I would ever buy one again.

Element Optics Helix. Its like the Vortex Diamondback tactical but has better turrets, and is overall better done. SWFA is great but I don't think I would ever buy one again.

How come?

I just ordered an Arken EP5. I'll report back to this thread once I get it. Another 5 weeks of waiting….

Also vortex PST GENII is right around $650 new on midway. That's a hell of a deal.

How come?

Because there are so many great and affordable options now. A few years ago, when you asked about a good budget tactical scope, the only thing out of anyone's mouth was SWFA. Primary Arms had just started making an FFP scope that was affordable but that was pretty much it, everything else was SFP if you didn't want to spend big money. I owned three or more SWFA's and they all performed good, had good but not great turrets, good but not great reticles, good but not great glass, and all fixed magnification. Now the market is flooded with other manufactures like Element, Athlon, Arken, PA has a huge line, the Vortex Diamondback Tactical who all offer more features and good build quality for the money. The SWFA's are still good scopes, but they are kind of basic and somewhat archaic now.

Because there are so many great and affordable options now. A few years ago, when you asked about a good budget tactical scope, the only thing out of anyone's mouth was SWFA. Primary Arms had just started making an FFP scope that was affordable but that was pretty much it, everything else was SFP if you didn't want to spend big money. I owned three or more SWFA's and they all performed good, had good but not great turrets, good but not great reticles, good but not great glass, and all fixed magnification. Now the market is flooded with other manufactures like Element, Athlon, Arken, PA has a huge line, the Vortex Diamondback Tactical who all offer more features and good build quality for the money. The SWFA's are still good scopes, but they are kind of basic and somewhat archaic now.

If they sold the 5-20 HD with a zero stop and simple Christmas tree reticle that would be a game changer.

this thread is going on 3 years old. hopefully the OP made his choice by now haha.

i'll throw another vote in for arken. i have the mil/mil 4-16 on my grendel and it's awesome. only downside is weight and the turrets are massive.

I've had two SFWA scopes, the last one I got last year. I agree they are outdated and for close to the same cost there are many updated options. I just have a problem getting scopes from China. But I'll admit I've been VERY tempted many times.

I've had two SFWA scopes, the last one I got last year. I agree they are outdated and for close to the same cost there are many updated options. I just have a problem getting scopes from China. But I'll admit I've been VERY tempted many times.

I am with you there, and it took me a while to warm up to the idea. A lot of these companies do offer much better products then when they started too. I think when Athlon first came on the market, they were having problems because the mechanics/gears in their turrets were plastic and were failing, but now people tell me I should buy one and even recommend their spotting scopes. I usually don't buy scopes in the more budget price point, but every once and a while there is a good application for them. If you want the features but don't want to to pay its sort of the compromise that has to be made. I have a Element Helix, and I have an Atibal and both work great on the .22WMR's that I have them on.

I am just happy the era of Mil reticles with MOA turrets has died and been forgotten.

I am just happy the era of Mil reticles with MOA turrets has died and been forgotten.
I have Leupold LR Tactical 4.5-14x50 30mm tube that is mil/moa. So far on the cheaper scopes the thing that bugs me is the clarity, low light gathering, and glaring. Base line Leupolds still fair better. But I haven't got to play with the Arkens, Athlons, and later PA. The cheaper scopes do serve their purpose.