Lightweight tactical/target/adjustable turret scope?

WildcatB

Does any one know of a lightweight tactical/target/adjustable turret scope? I have a scopeless lightweight rifle that I would like to set up as light as possible and still be able to dial in longer shots. Any suggestion appreciated,
Paul

How far do you wish to shoot and what do you wish to shoot and under what conditions.

For example a 3.5-10 X variable is good for hunting in cover and then is still fine for distances to about 500 yards for whitetail deer sized animals. If you are going to shoot much further then you will need more magnification.

A straight power scope is very light and very good for somethings but not so good for others.

All depends upon how the rifle will be used.

I'd like to get it to 700 yards.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Leupold Tactical Riflescope 3.5-10 X 40 : 13.5 oz
Bushnell 3200 10x tactical : 15.5 oz
Simmons Master Series ProHunter Rifle Scope 6-21x 44mm :11.5 oz
Nikon 4x14 Buckmaster: 17.6 oz
Burris tac30 3-9x40: 13 oz

I'm leaning toward the Burris because the low weight and low price, $229 at optic zone... but I don't know if the turrets are any good. The Leupold would be nice but it's $$$$. Was hoping someone would know "the one" to get.

Last edited:
I'd like to get it to 700 yards.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Leupold Tactical Riflescope 3.5-10 X 40 : 13.5 oz
Bushnell 3200 10x tactical : 15.5 oz
Simmons Master Series ProHunter Rifle Scope 6-21x 44mm :11.5 oz
Nikon 4x14 Buckmaster: 17.6 oz
Burris tac30 3-9x40: 13 oz

I'm leaning toward the Burris because the low weight and low price, $229 at optic zone... but I don't know if turrets are any good. The Leupold would be nice but it's $$$$. Was hoping someone would know "the one" to get.

Do yourself a favor and go checkout a Burris Tactical and a Nikon and compare them. I have a Burris 4.5-14 Tac and with I'd spent my money elsewhere. The scope is pretty clear and seems to be fairly rugged. The tac knobs track just fine but are 'squishy'. If you play with one in a store and compare it with a Leupold or Nikon you'll see what I mean. My major grip with it is the fact that the entire eyepiece rotates when you adjust the magnification. If you never use a Butler Creek or Blizzard type scope cover on the eyepiece then it probably won't matter. If you do use such a scope cap you'll see that the hinge rotates around and may cause trouble. Mine adjusts from opens to the left which is fine to opens to the right which interferes with bolt operation. It's the berries. My $0.02.

Pstimac

My choice would be in this order,If price was not an issue.

Leupold
burris
nikon

They are all good scopes and I dont think you could go wrong
with any of these.

I though you might save some weight by going to a titanium
model but they are heavier than the ones you listed.

All of these have good glass and good turret's.

just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts