Change in hunting caliber laws???

britz

So, I have recently found out that in 2008 it will be legal to take deer with a rifle .220 or larger In Minnesota. It used to be a little more complicated calling for 23 cal or larger and excluding all larger cal's that didn't meet the minimum case length and excluding the 30 carbine. This may sound confusing, but I for one am not sure about the new regulations. I have no problem with people taking deer with the larger 22's like the 223 and 22-250, but why would they allow people to hunt with the 22 hornet or the 30 carbine. At some point there needs to be some idiot proofing for some hunters. I mean no offence to anyone who is using the hornet for making head shots on culling deer populations. I know it can be done, I just don't want to see every tom dick and harry going out with their 22 hornet varmint loads or even a 223 and vmax's shooting at deer at 350 yards. It just seems to have the possibility to feed more ammo to the anti hunting groups. All of this of course IMHO!

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the law here, so feel free to correct me, I'm trying to start a discusson, not an argument ;).

Last edited:
small calibers

I think the whole idea behind allowing smaller calibers is to get more youths involved in hunting. Since they are for the most part, smaller framed, the should handle a lighter recoiling rifle better.

I'm not sure I agree with this line of thinking, either. I didn't think it was broke, so why fix it. Just my opinion......................Al

I know it can be done, I just don't want to see every tom dick and harry going out with their 22 hornet varmint loads or even a 223 and vmax's shooting at deer at 350 yards. It just seems to have the possibility to feed more ammo to the anti hunting groups. All of this of course IMHO!

I tend to agree.

If it's meant to get newbies and little ones into hunting, what's wrong with .243 or 6.5x55?

After I posted this message, I talked to a friend who isn't into hunting too much but is starting because his son wants to hunt. He asked me if I wanted to sell my 22-250 because he wanted something to really reach out and touch the deer at a quarter mile or so. I told him plainly I wouldn't sell it to him if he intended to use it for that. I meant no offence and I'm not running him down - he just didnt' know any better. I think there are going to be more wounded deer with pin holes in them.

I am from mn and i think its all about money the license count for rifle was down about 20.000 licenses and people here in mn are not happy the way the dnr in mn are managing the deer herd .and the ecomomy is not good either. but this 22 cailber thing is not a good thing at all.

Last edited:
Im from ND where .22 caliber rifles are allowed. Its amazing how many deer I see running around with tiny holes in them during the rifle season....

Kidding of course. I have harvested deer with 223 rem all the way up to 338 win mag and a 22-250 absolutely hammers deer if you use the correct bullet. Just use a bullet designed for deer hunting (partition or TSX), which is necessary in any caliber. If you shoot a 22 caliber 50 grain vmax into a deers leg, you are going to end up with a mess, same goes for shooting a 308 110 grain varmint bullet. If you dont know enough to use hunting bullets for large game, the caliber change isnt going to make you any dumber.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.