Pairie Dog Hunting in SD

fordracer

Could anyone out there steer me to Pairie Dog Hunting in SD?
Maybe a Rancher that has dogs to be eliminated?
We would have our own 4WD truck with 4 hunters.
Have hunted around Wood SD on Reservations, but the same towns are hunted week after week.
We are from Michigan, looking for a 3 or 4 day hunt. I have looked on the websites but it's not what we are looking for.

Thanks for your help,

John

I went twice, last time about 4 yrs ago. Both times was with a guide near White River, SD. The 1st year we had GREAT shooting, the 2nd yr just so-so. My favorite time is Mid June-July, short grass, plentiful targets. The adage is to go when you can though.

I have been doing some research for my next trip. I don't want to go with my previous guide for several reasons. Look at maps with prairie dog distribution thought SD, acres of PD towns. All available online.Then look at amount non-tribal lands in counties of interest. I'd just rather shoot non-tribal lands, YMMV.

Once you see promising counties, call the local Chamber of Commerce in the county seat, or tourism office. Tell them what you are looking for, they should have some guidance.

You could include WY & MT too if desired. I may just go cold turkey next time, show up & ask around, off the beaten path a bit. With 4 shooters and if a tight time schedule, paying a guide may not be a bad option.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.