Cast bullets in a 10mm auto

I shoot cast in more than my 10mm, in fact I started out pouring my own Lee 452-300RFGC for my 454 and have never had one issue with it. Now I cast for a dozen handguns and several rifles, all with no issues.

Have I had issues in the past, absolutely, and anyone who shoots cast will at some point have an issue. One or even several issues isn't an end all to doing so.

I cast my own so I can be self reliant, and not have to worry about a particular factory caliber bullet being available, or if it is, being priced to suit the manufacturer or dealer. I can make what ever type bullet I desire at home on demand. No factory excuses or middle man marks ups.

If you know what you are doing, cast will shoot and perform every bit as good as factory bullets do.
Exactly, it can be an exact science, but sometimes it's just a.little of this and a little of that, until it works.

I use cast bullets in my Sig .40 S&W and Sig .45 ACP without any problems for many years. Have killed several deer with both, but through a lot of experimenting I found the best .40 bullet for deer was Sierra 165 gr. JHC & in .45 the Horn. 200 gr. XTP

I use cast bullets in my Sig .40 S&W and Sig .45 ACP without any problems for many years. Have killed several deer with both, but through a lot of experimenting I found the best .40 bullet for deer was Sierra 165 gr. JHC & in .45 the Horn. 200 gr. XTP
I got some hard cast 454 and 44 mag bullets from you several years ago. I think the key is hard cast, 14 bhn or harder. Now mind you, I don't own a glockenspiel, so this is just a hypothesis on my part. Went by Sassuanch on the old forum.

I had both the factory barrels and the KKM barrels in my G40 & 41 shooting great with cast. Most of the cast I shoot runs around a 9 - 10 BHN, even for my magnum revolvers are only running just over a 12 BHN. Never had any issues with leading in any of the 8 auto loaders I shoot even with the factory Glock barrels.

I have two main alloys I use mostly for HP's that are hunted with. I have used some alloy that ranged upwards of 14-16 BHN for solid WFN bullets but I only found accuracy with one or two bullets that hard. Not saying you can't shoot bullets accurately up into the 20+ BHN range, just I don't have a need too. Very seldom do I shoot any gas checked bullets either unless the bullet dictates it.. Most everything I shoot is from the lower BHN alloys. I HAVE had issues when trying out softer alloys in my magnums but sort of half expected that, but had to try and see. Ya never know. Sorta like running the same cast HP I run in my 45 Colt, through my 454's, just had to try them and see . Found out they work just fine. Shame on any feral hog that I run across with those in the cylinder, they will probably pop like a watermelon.

Mostly cast is using the proper size and lube verses how hard the bullets are. Then if you have those two, to an extent, the hardness is a side consideration. Granted you can go too soft for some pressures, but with experience you learn how to build workable bullets for the application intended. More barrels are leaded up with bullets made too hard or not sized or lubed properly, than from the alloy being too soft. Rifle bullets are something all together different as are the pressures, barrel lengths, and twist rates you normally have to deal with. It can still be done you just have to work on it a bit ore to get there, and not have expectations of hyper velocity loads.

I have loaded Hard Cast bullets for 15 years in my Glock 20 at 20 to 22 BHN hardness and Gas Checked in 200gr and 220gr for Alaska. I have switched to a KKM barrel for more case support. I load exclusively with Longshot in the 4.6" at the 700 FPE level in performance.

I got some hard cast 454 and 44 mag bullets from you several years ago. I think the key is hard cast, 14 bhn or harder. Now mind you, I don't own a glockenspiel, so this is just a hypothesis on my part. Went by Sassuanch on the old forum.

I too have a 6" KKM barrel on my G20 and am getting great results

Close to 20 years ago I purchased a Super RedHawk in 454 after watching the seller hit clay pigeons with it…4 out of 6 at 200 yards
The purchase came with hundreds of cast bullets with gas check
It took me tons of practice to hit 200 yard clays 2 of 6 times
I had a week moment and sold it to a guy that was impressed watching me hit 2 out of 6 at 200!

IMO, this pistol is one heck of an upgrade over a Glock:

JE Custom, that is an astute observation on the gas checks in a semi-auto, I would have never thought of that, but it is pretty obvious when you think about it.

I have a precision tool that you can insert down the barrel of a pistol, and measure how much each chamber in the cylinder is out of alignment, and some are terrible. Some chambers in a cylinder are .006-.016+ out of alignment, you can see where a gas check could come off, but I have never experienced this, those pistols were traded in.

Water quenched bullets cast out of pure linotype are an option when you want penetration. I shoot a mix of 50/50 wheel weights and linotype and sand will not deform the bullet at 10 yards, this mix would suffice and I have never checked the hardness. In cast bullet competition(rifle) 1800+ fps with gas checked, pure linotype, kitchen heat treated bullets are the norm fired out of 308 Win

The more obvious solution is to shoot a 200g-220g, hold velocity to around the 900-1000 fps area with cast bullets Please check out GT Bullets, George has exceptional knowledge in the 10mm and more. George offers three grades of hardness in his bullets and offers custom sizes to fit your bore. Check out this 220g HP. When you get George's bullets in the mail, they look exactly like you see in the pictures!

GTbullets.com
180-220g hp in 40 cal, three different hardness levels

Most leading comes from the cast bullet not matching the bore, so lead is vaporized as it blows by the bullet, and this is another discussion, JE touched on it.

Last edited:
This is Casting Weather, eh Lefty?

In my state, it is legal to use any type of bullet for self-defense. I met George of GT Bullets shooting IDPA. He brought me some of his "soft" 9mm 130g HP, "soft" 40 cal-180g HP, and "soft" 45 cal 200g HP. Glory be, I got accuracy and expansion from that was As good as the Winchester PTX-1 and HST with better accuracy since I controlled the load! Other than the "soft" HP, I am casting my own, including buckshot and slugs.

This is Casting Weather, eh Lefty?

In my state, it is legal to use any type of bullet for self-defense. I met George of GT Bullets shooting IDPA. He brought me some of his "soft" 9mm 130g HP, "soft" 40 cal-180g HP, and "soft" 45 cal 200g HP. Glory be, I got accuracy and expansion from that was As good as the Winchester PTX-1 and HST with better accuracy since I controlled the load! Other than the "soft" HP, I am casting my own, including buckshot and slugs.
I should have cast more pills in October and November... It's gonna get to 30-40 below wind chills soon and I cast in the garage. The water bucket I drop the pills into will start freezing in a couple hours.
I hope to get on the casting pot a bit this evening as I'm about out of a couple of bullets. I need 10mm 200 (208 as cast) bullets and I've only got a few 41 cal. 200 grain swc's left. I just picked up the 41 but I've had the other mold for a year so that one's on me...
I don't use enough buckshot or slugs to bother, but I do own a 50 cal. rb. mold and a couple of fishing sinker molds.

IMO, this pistol is one heck of an upgrade over a Glock:

JE Custom, that is an astute observation on the gas checks in a semi-auto, I would have never thought of that, but it is pretty obvious when you think about it.

I have a precision tool that you can insert down the barrel of a pistol, and measure how much each chamber in the cylinder is out of alignment, and some are terrible. Some chambers in a cylinder are .006-.016+ out of alignment, you can see where a gas check could come off, but I have never experienced this, those pistols were traded in.

Water quenched bullets cast out of pure linotype are an option when you want penetration. I shoot a mix of 50/50 wheel weights and linotype and sand will not deform the bullet at 10 yards, this mix would suffice and I have never checked the hardness. In cast bullet competition(rifle) 1800+ fps with gas checked, pure linotype, kitchen heat treated bullets are the norm fired out of 308 Win

The more obvious solution is to shoot a 200g-220g, hold velocity to around the 900-1000 fps area with cast bullets Please check out GT Bullets, George has exceptional knowledge in the 10mm and more. George offers three grades of hardness in his bullets and offers custom sizes to fit your bore. Check out this 220g HP. When you get George's bullets in the mail, they look exactly like you see in the pictures!

GTbullets.com
180-220g hp in 40 cal, three different hardness levels

Most leading comes from the cast bullet not matching the bore, so lead is vaporized as it blows by the bullet, and this is another discussion, JE touched on it.

JE isn't around anymore, this thread was started almost 10 years ago.

Plenty of companies selling hardcast bullets for semi autos, plenty of people using them. I've got a beartooth 200wfn going 1230fps from my xdm osp-- it's my woods cary pistol.

I too have a 6" KKM barrel on my G20 and am getting great results

Close to 20 years ago I purchased a Super RedHawk in 454 after watching the seller hit clay pigeons with it…4 out of 6 at 200 yards
The purchase came with hundreds of cast bullets with gas check
It took me tons of practice to hit 200 yard clays 2 of 6 times
I had a week moment and sold it to a guy that was impressed watching me hit 2 out of 6 at 200!
I was getting 2in groups at a hundred yes, then my Bushnell scope came apart. My oldest son talked me out of the pistol. Bushnell just just old me they are going to warranty it.