10mm as a hunting round for medium size game.........

Catahoula

Hey Guys, does anyone know much about the 10mm? I just bought the Glock 40 Gen 4 with the 6.02 barrel. I'm impressed with the accuracy & it's very easy to shoot. They say you can hunt with them but that round just does not look like it would handle much in the way of medium size game.
Any thoughts or advice? I will carry it on hiking and atv trips.
Thanks, Kirk

Hey Guys, does anyone know much about the 10mm? I just bought the Glock 40 Gen 4 with the 6.02 barrel. I'm impressed with the accuracy & it's very easy to shoot. They say you can hunt with them but that round just does not look like it would handle much in the way of medium size game.
Thanks, Kirk

For back up it is great, for hunting, the velocity and energy limits the distance on game. So if you are hunting a non game and distance is no more than 50 yards it will normally suffice. The fact that you may be able to hit accurately at 100+ yards doesn't mean that it will perform on game at those distances.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, Kirk
Cat I've used it on bear in the north and hogs down Texas way,bear was about 50yards away,took 2shots to put it down.Hogs we were shooting @ 75 to 100 yards was pretty darned effective on them.Used a Spfld TRP 10mm,6in ,with Trigicon sight,well pleased with it.

The 10mm is certainly no slouch. I have owned a Colt Delta Elite (original model) for more than 20 years. My favorite side arm - if you can handle the recoil. The ballistics of the 10mm are very close to the old 41 Magnum (Bulldog). Not as much as the 44 Mag, but definitely more than the 357 Mag. Great round, great bullet selection.

I owned a Smith and Wesson 1006 and worked up a hand load with 180gr Speer hollow point that would repeatedly hit a pie plate at 100yds. I carried it as a side arm with the expectation of deliberately using it on a mule deer, which I did. I shot a young buck at 60 yds right behind the shoulder and the deer only ran about 50 yds and piled up. The bullet passed through completely.

I've shot a few deer and hogs with the Glock 35 Gen 4 using the Remington 180 Grain JHP and the Winchester Ranger 165 grain SXT with good results. (They are all dead). Some took multiple shots. I'm using a Leupold Delta Point Pro and keep the shots within 50 yards.
I started pistol hunting with a 7" .44 Magnum when I was a lot younger and went through a period that I only hunted with pistols, I've hunted with the Desert Eagle .50AE, the Glock 20 10mm, the Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk in .44 Magnum, the Smith and Wesson .460, the Encore with a 15" barrel .30-06 and 10" barrel .44 Magnum with Burris 2-7 scopes on them. I killed alot of deer and hogs with all of these.
I recently converted a Colt 1911 .45 ACP to a .460 Rowland and its a hammer for sure with minimum recoil. It sends the 185 grain JHP at 1500+ FPS and the 200 grain JHP bullet at 1400 FPS and 230 grain JHP bullet at 1300 FPS. This is my new hunting carry gun. Where I live I can find .460 Rowland ammo easier than 10mm ammo.

But to get back to your original question....it all depends on your skill level and range.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kirk

Thankfully today there are more choices of full power 10mm ammo available for hunting as well as personal protection. Razor Dobbs (watch on Youtube) uses a 10mm to take large game like Cape Buffalo and Elk as well as smaller game like deer and hogs so you can have some confidence carrying that 10 for hunting or protection but as with any cartridge there are limitations.

I'm in the same range as everyone else, treat a 10mm like a bow and keep it inside of 50 yards for best results. The 10mm is a good performer in a semi auto pistol, but it's still a pretty mild chambering in the big picture. It's not in the same league as a 41 Mag, and even that's on the low end of what I would consider for a dedicated hunting gun.

The 10mm is great for a "target of opportunity" sidearm. I've had Glock 20 and 29, Commander sized and full sized 1911s and an EAA Witness in 10mm as well as Ruger Blackhawk, S&W 610 and GP100 (still have this one) revolvers in 10mm. I've killed quite a few critters up to the size of blacktail deer with the 10mm and it works, but it's hardly a power house. It's better in the revolvers where you can load the rounds longer and get a meaningful increase in performance. I load the 10mm ammo for my GP100 to the same OAL as the 10mm Mag (1.550) and it gives a clear advantage over any 10mm ammo, but it's still a pretty mild load compared to something like a 41 or 44 mag.

I've been hunting with a 10mm for several years now. I typically use a 200 grain Hornady XTP and a 220 grain hard cast from Underwood ammo.

I've shot a few whitetail and several hogs with these and the whitetail usually gown within 20 yards regardless of the bullet used, some of the bigger hogs ran a little further. I've not taken a shot over about 60 yards but I'm confident it will kill effectively at 100 yards. I'm just not confident in my abilities at that distance yet. I have a Glock 20 long slide that I put together with a 6.5' barrel.

Attachments

• 3D13F4DC-CD6D-42D2-88BA-E61D9FA5BC44.jpeg
    3D13F4DC-CD6D-42D2-88BA-E61D9FA5BC44.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 539
  • 8AABDF41-3670-410D-8F6C-F552B72C0C9C.jpeg
    8AABDF41-3670-410D-8F6C-F552B72C0C9C.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 862