Cases?

28" barrel + Defensive Edge break + Mark v action + McMillan adj game warden stock

A buddy of mine just got a 6.5 PRC, 26" barrel in a christisen arms comes in at 47", so I am guessing mine will be aprox 50"

At 50" the Plano field locker double gun should work! Inside dimensions are 54.0 x 15.0 x 6.4.
I may need to look into those as well - just measured my 338 RUM and with a 30" barrel + 5 port muscle break, my OAL comes out to 52 3/8".

Stupid question, but for the Explorer cases, are they available in the states?
At 52.375" the Plano should work but It will be close. B&H Photo carries the Explorer line here in the states and offered free shipping, as well as the best price I could find, when I purchased mine.

Last edited:
Pelican 780 Vault case. $200 and cheaper when Midway has a sale. 53" interior, I have that one and two of the smaller 770s for my ARs. They all have worked great. My 6.5-284 is 51-1/2 " with a brake.

The Apache case from Harbor Freight has the "Pick a Part" foam to customize the fit for any gun. I bought a few of them. They are heavy, but have handles on 3 sides and wheels on one end. Places for locks if you want to fly commercial with one. I have waited for the 20% off coupons and they are just over $100. I don't see a significant difference between these and the Pelican, but I have never owned one to give a true comparison. I do know they are more than sturdy enough for my needs

I just went and picked my second one up~~ Can't beat the price and product with coupons. On sale now for $119.

Plano gun guard six latch is waterproof two handles wheels $129 also has a purge valve for pressure when flying And the electric foam cutting knife to cut out For your rifle
EBEFB526-BB0D-491E-998F-1DB30445BE53.jpeg
16B40F2E-A21E-4D17-BEDF-738F861FCC01.jpeg
58C52FC8-2896-4174-9048-568B99E1029A.png

Harbor freights are made in China, Pelican and Plano are made in the USA. Spend your money where you want....I choose to keep mine here.
Apparently, same place most of my RCBS and Frankford Arsenal stuff is made. Most of my powder comes from Switzerland, Labradar comes from Canada with most of the parts sourced from China.

Pelican is owned by an international investment firm, with investors from all over the world. I do own a Ford Fusion though. Oh, wait...

I have had good luck tracing the rifle with a paint pen, then doing a partial depth cut with a razor blade as the foam sits in the case and the thru cut with a conventional filet knife with the foam out of the case.

For solid foam the go to is a electric fillet knife. For pick n' pluck the trick is that after you get your rifle and accessoies arranged and the foam plucked go over everything with Plasti-dip. This glues all the remaining cubes together so that they don't pull apart and adds a rubberized coat to everything to toughen it up. This is what I did with the Explorer case. Only other thing I did was use Devcon Wood Weld contact cement to attach the upper and lower foam blocks together. Fair warning, both substances fumes will kill you dead (or at least cause enough brain damage to mess up your shooting! :eek: ) so proper ventilation is critical!

If y'all want to share pics of how yalls are set up on the inside like cutouts with gun and accessories that would be awesome also lol

My layouts are shown in my post on page 2. The only "accessory" I added to the Explorer case was some rechargeable desiccant packs in the case. Everything else rides in an Apache 3800. Suppressor, bipod, rear bags, safety equipment, log book, etc. The Plano case holds the MSR-10, extra 20 round magazine, Atlas PSR bipod, rangefinder, and desicant packs as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.