Case denting on improved casing

A single hole located on the body, just below the shoulder/body junction.

But the FL resizing die has been hardened. Which means no small drill bit will cut a hole through it. The hardened steel die body is too hard for any drill bit to cut it.

I can't be certain that's the source of the problem. But from what you've described, it theoretically could be. Other die manufacturers do add the relief vent hole. And what you're experiencing may be the reason why.

Not sure wbat the hardness of the dies are but a carbide hardened die drill bit shoukd work. This is not the same as a twisted carbide(typical drill bit).

Heres a link to an example of what I am speaking of. (not a specific recommedation for a brand just an example)

http://www.newmantools.com/drills/drctdie.htm

Make sure to keep it flooded with coolant. Any machine shop should be able to do it if it will work. Its what I used to drill gas ports thru nitrided barrels.

Im getting case dents on my 30/375 ruger 40deg. when i resize my brass. Im using imperial wax and varying the amount i use and it still does it. So i dont believe this is a lube problem. As soon as i hit 0 headspace or 0.001" set back, it starts denting.

I clean dies regularly and cant seem to figure it out. The body/shoulder is getting sized properly so its not oversizing.

I figure its due to the 40deg shoulder but cant figure it out.

Even if you wipe the case shoulder and neck any "excess" lube is forced upward when full length resized and ends up on the case shoulder.

I went to a home made case lube of lanolin and alcohol and apply in a large zip-lock bag and then work the brass around the bag. When the alcohol dries you end up with a very thin coating of lanolin, "BUT" I still wipe the case shoulders and necks. No dings, no dents. and no errors.

I have used a 50/50 mix of stp and hoppe 9 very small amount on a sponge and into a baggie or milk jug and roll light shake and its all done. I have used that as a lube for years and never once had an issue with dented cases. But then I think all of mine have vent holes. Honestly never check them all but know I have seen them on different ones.

I suggest Hornady Unique resizing lube. Smells like lanolin. Cheaper than Imperial sizing wax, and easier to apply and remove. Work just as well as Imperial. It's all I use now. My Imperial resizing lube sits on the reloading bench unused.

I guess i got lazy. Ivdo use hornadys wax. I apply with my finger and there is a very small amount on the case body. I do believe its a combinations of 40deg shoulders not setting back as easy as a lesser degree and the lack of vent. I tried the last 3 casings last night with the stem and crap removed and it didnt appear to dent them. Once i shoot and have to size again i will try this and see if it holds true.

My 338 Rogue has a 37* shoulder. I don't use the neck swaging stem/ball either. My stem and cap are also removed. Hornady Unique case lube. I deprime and ultrasonic clean before resizing, and case necks resizing is controlled with a neck bushing.

I seriously doubt you'll see any affect on paper from the slight sidewall deformation I saw in your photo. So if you can find a solution - great. If not, I wouldn't spend another $300 on a new custom die. And I wouldn't try to bore a vent hole. How would you ever get the sharp edge cleaned up in that enclosed location after the bit broke thru the inner wall of the die?

I'd proceed with load development, no matter the indentations. If you've got a good barrel, it'll probably shoot with these slight indentations just fine. That's my guess/belief. Good luck!

Last edited:
Phorwath,

That lube is that the one in the spray can or something else? I just recall using one from hornday years ago in a aerosol spray bottle. I had a few stuck cases from it and moved on.

Nope. Hornady Unique comes in a plastic tub container. A resizing wax similar to Imperial, but not as sticky, not as thick, not as expensive, and a little nicer to work with. Cleans off the casings easier.
You get twice the amount for about 1/2 the cost, compared to the Imperial resizing wax. And it doubles as lip salve too:).

You're probably thinking of Hornady's "One Shot" spray can case lube. I didn't like it either.

I had the same problem with Redding FL dies, they also do not have any vent holes. Had to be extra careful with lube. What should the reason be for not manufacturing die without a vent hole? Nearly all other brands come with vent holes.

Nope. Hornady Unique comes in a plastic tub container. A resizing wax similar to Imperial, but not as sticky, not as thick, not as expensive, and a little nicer to work with. Cleans off the casings easier.
You get twice the amount for about 1/2 the cost, compared to the Imperial resizing wax. And it doubles as lip salve too:).

You're probably thinking of Hornady's "One Shot" spray can case lube. I didn't like it either.

Yep thats the stuff. Thanks. I may give the wax a try as I like that its not sticky. The stp hoppes mix has a tacky feel I never liked.

Hornady Unique MSDS (Can also be used to waterproof leather, boots and shoes) ;)
Mink Oil (animal oil mixed C12 to C20) 5 to 15%
Glycerol Monooleate 5 to 15% (used as a thickening, emulsifying, anti-caking, and preservative agent
Bleached Tallow 70 to 90%
Refined Paraffin Wax 0 to 5%

A Different Way To Use Hornady Unique Case Lube

Last edited:
Yes, that's the product. Good stuff. As I said, I prefer it over Imperial Wax. And most folks think Imperial Wax was designed by, and sent from, heaven.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, I've been using this wax and may try the spray bottle technique.
What do you guys think about him saying you can leave the lanolin on as it won't hurt anything?

Hornady Unique MSDS (Can also be used to waterproof leather, boots and shoes) ;)
Mink Oil (animal oil mixed C12 to C20) 5 to 15%
Glycerol Monooleate 5 to 15% (used as a thickening, emulsifying, anti-caking, and preservative agent
Bleached Tallow 70 to 90%
Refined Paraffin Wax 0 to 5%

A Different Way To Use Hornady Unique Case Lube

That's pretty cool.

I am a lube pad guy. Never got on with the sprays. However, I see how I can make a lube for my pad.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.