Case denting on improved casing

shawnb

Im getting case dents on my 30/375 ruger 40deg. when i resize my brass. Im using imperial wax and varying the amount i use and it still does it. So i dont believe this is a lube problem. As soon as i hit 0 headspace or 0.001" set back, it starts denting.

I clean dies regularly and cant seem to figure it out. The body/shoulder is getting sized properly so its not oversizing.

I figure its due to the 40deg shoulder but cant figure it out.

Im getting case dents on my 30/375 ruger 40deg. when i resize my brass. Im using imperial wax and varying the amount i use and it still does it. So i dont believe this is a lube problem. As soon as i hit 0 headspace or 0.001" set back, it starts denting.

I clean dies regularly and cant seem to figure it out. The body/shoulder is getting sized properly so its not oversizing.

I figure its due to the 40deg shoulder but cant figure it out.
There should be zero case lube on the shoulders.

There is no lube on the shoulder. Only on the body. I tried just enough to not get a stuck case and still does it

Attachments

• 58FD0810-9A19-4D28-8A5A-D0DE22C161FD.jpeg
    58FD0810-9A19-4D28-8A5A-D0DE22C161FD.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 203
I own and load for the same cartridge. Which brand FL die are you using? Is there a vent hole thru the side of the die? If so is it clear/open?
Is the dent the same shape and location on each and every resized casing, or random in location and frequency?
Not sure what the cause, but answers to these questions are a diagnostic start.

Whidden dies, it doesn't appear to have a vent hole as far as i can tell. It is kind of random. Less dent on one and more on the next. I have been in touch with them and after hunting and loading up a crap load of ammo i will ship them the dies and some brass to see if they can come up with something. Shipping from canada so im going to stockpile in case the border wants to keep my dies...but id rather get it figured out and now t ship anything.

I have Whidden dies for my 338 Lapua Improved. No vent hole.

I suppose this could be the problem. I suspect there's a reason RCBS places the air vent hole in their FL resizing dies. I think Whidden is still on a learning curve. They made 3 sizing dies for my 338 Lap Improved. Non of them sufficiently sized down the sidewall near the case head. I ended up grinding off the top and bottom of one of their defective FL sizing dies so that I could lower it farther toward the case head to enable sufficient reduction in diameter. It requires an additional sizing step, but it works.
If Whidden couldn't get it right after 3 attempts, they wouldn't have got it right after 6 more.
So I resolved it on my own...

I have two sets of whiddens and they size perfect, neither have a vent, one set is a 7mm Ultra Rogue witha 40* shoulder. it sorta looks like a shell that hit the base of the die on the way out on a progressive. I use a progressive press sometimes and i have to be careful not to do that

I have two sets of whiddens and they size perfect, ...

That give them a 40% success rate. 2 for 5. None of my 3 were correct. I had to modify one of the bad ones to get proper resizing. My cartridge = slightly modified 338 Rogue.

The frustrating thing for me was even after I identified the issue, they couldn't manufacture a correct resizing die. The 2nd one they manufactured was an exact duplicate of the first. On the 3rd one they finally tweaked their computer program (I presume) to reduce the diameter at the mouth of the die, but still not enough.

But I'm glad your Whidden dies were good to go. Lucky for you.

I may try to find someone that can drill a small hole for a vent. Anyone estimate the size of hole needed? Im assuming as small as possible and maybe 4 holes around the die should work good.

A single hole located on the body, just below the shoulder/body junction.

But the FL resizing die has been hardened. Which means no small drill bit will cut a hole through it. The hardened steel die body is too hard for any drill bit to cut it.

I can't be certain that's the source of the problem. But from what you've described, it theoretically could be. Other die manufacturers do add the relief vent hole. And what you're experiencing may be the reason why.

That give them a 40% success rate. 2 for 5. None of my 3 were correct. I had to modify one of the bad ones to get proper resizing. My cartridge = slightly modified 338 Rogue.

The frustrating thing for me was even after I identified the issue, they couldn't manufacture a correct resizing die. The 2nd one they manufactured was an exact duplicate of the first. On the 3rd one they finally tweaked their computer program (I presume) to reduce the diameter at the mouth of the die, but still not enough.

But I'm glad your Whidden dies were good to go. Lucky for you.
That blows for sure. I have a third set being made right now should have them in about 3 to 4 weeks hope they work :)

I may try to find someone that can drill a small hole for a vent. Anyone estimate the size of hole needed? Im assuming as small as possible and maybe 4 holes around the die should work good.
it will have to be a small carbide end mill in a good solid hold, that die body is hard

Hmmm. Maybe ill try some other things first. Thanks for the input. If i get it figured ill post it here.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.