Carbon Fiber Tripod - Recommend me a setup

If I were 6'-8" tall, that is what I would choose.

My 3 series tripod is 3 leg segments and is just a little tall when sitting. The 4 segment version would have been my choice if I could do it over. My 2 series tripod is 4 segment but it isn't quite as steady when fully extended.
Alright, well this is looking promising.

Now to figure out were to place my backorder.

Are there any vendors on this board that would like this order?

I've worked in advertising photography for 20 years and for any photographer who wanted the best for stability, durability for big cameras with big lenses and money wasn't an issue there was only one brand, Gitzo. As of recent some other brands have popped up that are good as well, RRS (Really Right Stuff, I became aware of them in the early 2000's). If you want a ball head I'd recommend the Arca Swiss Z1+. RRS also makes good heads too. I believe the Arca Swiss head has a 130 lb capacity.
If you going to put an arca rail on your rifle, I have the area 419 which I like could be over kill for a hunting rifle. I have the GT3543XLS which isn't their biggest legs but a good compromise between weight and stability and would be plenty tall enough for even you. The GT5543XLS is the heavier version. Check out their "Systematic" line of tripods. These don't come with a center Colin wick I think is better for a rifle, but I like one for a camera. Those tripod legs and the ball head will set you back just over $2k. Not cheap.

Great questions...
Weight is more of a priority than cost
Stability is more of a priority than cost
Overall convenience of the set up in mounting optics and rifle is more important that cost or weight
I have not committed yet to a mounting system, so I am fluid as to a ARCA / Picatinny, Etc system
Plenty of room to pack it - I carry a Sitka Mountain Hauler and have many options for attaching it to that pack
I'm 6'8". I would like to be able to shoot MOA off of it. In fact, precision shooting is my foremost concern. I'm not sure standing will be an option for any tripod for me.
I don't care about a friend being able to mount a rifle too it on the fly. If that becomes a concern, we will plan accordingly.

Thanks!
If you are 6'8" why do you need a tripod? Just reach right out....and grab em!

Live2Hunt is a sponsor here, I bought one of his titanium plates and mounted on my factory "composite" stock, easy...

I went with a 24L tripod, not as beefy as the 34L, but plenty robust for my purposes. I'm only 5'10", but wanted plenty of height for uneven terrain. For backpacking I remove the bottom two leg sections and put rubber chair leg caps to protect the legs. The tripod and ball head weigh 3.5# and will give plenty of height for sitting or kneeling.

+1 for Manfrotto carbon fiber. In 10 years mine has been hunting in 6 states, and with me every trip to the range. If it disappeared today I'd buy another just like it, no question. To be fair, I'm not shooting from it as much as it sounds like you want to, but it's lightweight, full height and as solid as one could ask for. For glassing, the handgrip ball head is worth as much as the tripod.
View attachment 237348
I also have a manfrotto I use all the time but have shot off an RRS a friend has, you only think the manfrotto is rock solid ;)
4D278BB4-E4BD-486C-B517-32AC86C189B1.jpeg

I would be interested in seeing your mounts, if it's not too much trouble.
I was assuming if going RRS, you would opt for the Anvil 30 ball head witch accepts Arca rails.
The shorty is in the package and most likely what I would use on a hunting rifle.
The long version is target, as you can see it extends past the forearm to get bipod out front. Certain amount of cost in these toys, lol
Arca.jpgArca1.jpgArca2.jpgArca3.jpg

Looks like the RRS TFCT Tripod - TFCT MK2 Tripod 34L w/ Anvil-30 Head is out of stock just about everywhere. I would definitely suggest going with MHS if no sponsor on the forum steps up. MHS is probably the highest volume dealer I could find when I was in the market so they would likely get something in stock ahead of smaller shops. I went direct to RRS for my first tripod and thought they hit me harder than necessary on shipping.

Recent Posts