Advice on tripod setup

owlman

I'm hoping my fellow shooters out there can give me some first hand input on their tripod setups for shooting off of. I've found a few things on the forums but was hoping for more details. RRS has some great tripods and attachments. The options seem to be a leveling head using a VYCE attachment or something similar or an ARCA rail on the gun. Another option would be an anvil head. Any advantages or disadvantages to any of these setups or other ideas? Thanks in advance.

I am using the Patriot Valley comp40 carbon tripod and a RRS anvil mount. I really like the setup. Could have spent a lot more $ to save a little weight on the tripod, but I'm happy with it. Supposedly they're going to be coming out with a lighter more hunting oriented setup. Field optics research and two vets sporting goods also have some quality light weight options. All accepting RRS 75mm bowl attachments.

I posted this in the equipment section but I've not had any feedback - maybe it'll get some responses here.

I'm trying to gain an understanding of what tripods are in use and what different mounts/ballheads work to shoot off of.

If you use a tripod, could you list:

1 - Tripod (make/model)
2 - Ballhead/mount
3 - Whatever else you use on the tripod to make it better for you

I have been working on my setup and here is what I have so far:

RRS TVC-24L Tripod
RRS BH-40 Ballhead

I really like the tripod and went back and forth on the anvil head vs the regular ballhead. I think you may save some weight with the anvil head, but lose some functionality. Bowl attachments are also nice, but you lose quite a bit of vertical travel.

I also have the RRS Vyce, but recently put an Area 419 8" Arca rail on my rifle and won't look back. The rail was easy to install and required no drilling or tapping. Just used one of the existing sling mounts and the action screw for the mounting points. All of the necessary longer screw were included. It really takes out the sponginess that you get with a Hogg saddle or the vyce, plus it frees up some bulk and weight. You can also attach a bipod on the rail if you want to switch out.

Attachments

• IMG_4864.jpg
    IMG_4864.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 472
EyeDoc what's the total weight of the rifle in the picture you posted? Looks like it's a pretty solid setup.

EyeDoc what's the total weight of the rifle in the picture you posted? Looks like it's a pretty solid setup.

That setup is NOT my lightweight setup and is pretty heavy. I dont have a scale but online the Bergara is stated to weight 9.15 lbs and with the Atacr I would put it total just above 11 lbs. Load capacity on the Tripod is 40 lbs and ballhead is 18 lbs. There is no slippage on the ballhead.

When I was at the hunting expo last weekend, I saw a tripod that had additional support going back to the butt of the rifle, it seemed solid.
Should have got info but didn't.

I really like the tripod and went back and forth on the anvil head vs the regular ballhead. I think you may save some weight with the anvil head, but lose some functionality. Bowl attachments are also nice, but you lose quite a bit of vertical travel.

One of the problems I have is terminology and understanding what will work with what.

Will any ballhead (or anvil head) work with any tripod?
Or does the top plate/bowl socket size of the tripod determine what attachments will work?

This where it helps to see what products are being used together.

I also have the RRS Vyce, but recently put an Area 419 8" Arca rail on my rifle and won't look back. The rail was easy to install and required no drilling or tapping. Just used one of the existing sling mounts and the action screw for the mounting points. All of the necessary longer screw were included. It really takes out the sponginess that you get with a Hogg saddle or the vyce, plus it frees up some bulk and weight. You can also attach a bipod on the rail if you want to switch out.

I was looking at the RRS VYCE because I have a few rifles that I would like to shoot off of the tripod and they aren't all AR/tactical. But, it appears that you can buy several ARCA rails for the price of the VYCE.

With the RRS anvil, you can latch in arca or picatanny rails. Moat my rifles wear a pic rail for bipod that I attach to the anvil. I have also added m-lok rail inletted into the stock just ahead the front action screw on one rifle, the other wears an m-lok that runs the full forearm. I can position a removable pic rail anywhere I like and fasten into the anvil.

Used for both PRS and hunting, this set-up that is rock solid, light weight, and is easily carried in/on my back pack. It uses the already mentioned RRS ballhead/anvil 30 which will firmly lock to either an ARCA or Pic-rail. The friction locking lever is fast and provides a wide range of angular rifle movement.
http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/Anvil-30-Ballhead?quantity=1&custcol49=6

I use a Two Vets, "No-Name" carbon fiber Tripod. About $400, it gives up nothing in features and reliability to tripods costing more the +2X the price. With this set-up, I can group comparably when sitting to my prone groups at 1000 yards. Weight; 5#, length, 2ft(with ball head). Total cost approximately $850.
https://www.twovetssportinggoods.com/collections/tripods/products/two-vets-sporting-goods-tripod

7628E7F7-449D-4A4F-940A-1CB4CD6C109B.jpeg

Rick_W,

I was equally as confused and ended up sending stuff back at one point. RRS makes tripods in series that get beefier the higher you go. The leveling bases match up with series number. The higher the series, the bigger the bowl (opening of the tripod) and you must match the leveling base to the tripod series. Series 3 tripods need a series 3 leveling base. As far as anvil heads and ball heads, they should all work with whatever tripod you get since they use a single mounting screw to mount them on the tripod.

As far as the Vyce - If I did it all over again I would add arca rails to my guns and save my money on the Vyce. If you did the anvil mount you could also have the option of using pic rail also.

The No Name Tripod looks like a good solid platform. Must be pretty popular as they are out of stock until at least the first of April. Thanks for all the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.