Cantilever mounts?

for my AR-15's, I use cantilevers with as short of a cantilever as possible, like the Geissele or ADM Recon. For my AR-10's, I use non-cantilever mounts like the ADM Recon-S. The Recon-S is a straight up mount. The upper-receiver pic-rail length of the AR-10 is long enough that you don't need the cantilever length, at least for me, unless I guess if you shoot nose-to-charging-handle ("NOTCH").

cantilever is not as rigid as a straight-up mount, due to that cantilever arm hanging out the front without direct support.

you should only be using the cantilever scope mount when it's necessary, because of the short pic rail space on the upper receiver, and the eye-relief dictates that the front mount to the scope is out over the handguard. So you make that concession.

Last edited:
for my AR-15's, I use cantilevers with as short of a cantilever as possible, like the Geissele or ADM Recon. For my AR-10's, I use non-cantilever mounts like the ADM Recon-S. The Recon-S is a straight up mount. The upper-receiver pic-rail length of the AR-10 is long enough that you don't need the cantilever length, at least for me, unless I guess if you shoot nose-to-charging-handle ("NOTCH").
I'm in the middle of a 308 gas build and have seen so many pics of folks running cantilever so I've been trying to figure out if it's worth trying.

ADM Recon-S on AR-10:

9D3ybvF.jpg

pXqdzYd.jpg

l4qBdI6.jpg

On most I do use the cant over 2 piece and the above recon style. I use them to get the eye relief I need on an a2 type stock.

It depends on on your body and how you fit to the rifle. Being taller, I generally need the scope mounted farther forward, which allows me to be comfortable on the stock.

A cantilever mount on an AR is not bad. The scopes tend to be smaller. On a rifle with a longer, heavier scope, I want to spread the rings farther than a cantilever mount may provide, so that means a cantilevered rail if possible.

I use a cantilever mount on my NRA Highpower rifle. The only reason I use it is it's a light weight, low power optic and it came with the scope.

Do you mean for a "real" scope? We run almost no cantilever, but there might be 1 or 2 one piece mounts on AR10s/15s that has the front ring cantalevered forward.