Can we talk custom actions?

If $750 is your budget for a Custom Action then you should look at the MackBros action, $575, a fantastic buy. You would need to call them and get on the list for their next batch. I've used 3 of them and they're very good. Or if you up your budget some you could look at a Defiance Tenacity, Gunwerks GRB, or a Kelbly Atlas. Any of those 4 are all quality actions. The Gunwerks does not include a rail anymore though.
The pics below are 2 rifles built with MacBros actions.
Who cut the wrought iron barrel, and did it have any effect on accuracy before/after?

In another post, I asked the community for input on components for a custom build. I stated that I figured I was going to use a Rem700, but a few members mentioned that I should go custom. I have never researched custom actions. My research has made me realize that everyone has a different idea of what the best "value" custom action is. So now, throughly confused, I need help again.

the goal of my build is a lightweight 260 Rem with a carbon fiber barrel and a Grayboe Trekker (non-negoiatble). I'm looking for a good value lightweight short action in a Rem700 footprint. I was going to do a Remage barrel, but I think I'll just get a prefit if I'm going custom. I really want to be around $750 with trigger and rail if possible. Overall budget for the build is around $2k. Would love to hear opinions.
Go custom action. Pick a top of the line action with a remington foot print and don't look back. Defiance, bat, Curtis. Dime a dozen good ones out there.
if you buy a Remington you will spend 700-800 dollars on action and getting it trued. A custom action will cost you 1000-1300.
big difference is you can bet the custom will be right without question and the second if you ever want to sell it you will get you money back.

Who cut the wrought iron barrel, and did it have any effect on accuracy before/after?
It did not effect accuracy and shoots 1hole groups with just about everything I feed it. Karl @ Kampfeld Custom Rifles did the fluting. It's a 7 twist Krieger. Shoots 115 and 105 Bergers with great results. Also the 101 Hammer Hunter is excellent in it, as is the 90 grain Sierra Tipped Gameking. As I said, it's probably the easiest rifle I load for. 6MM Creedmoor throated for 105 Berger.

I agree with others that the Bighorn Origin would be an excellent choice considering your budget. I acquired a Bighorn TL3 action a couple of years ago for PRS competition,. Between my own experience and observing several buddies TL3's and Origins at matches…IMO, It can stand with any of the custom actions in terms of performance and reliability…With some useful added features. I have another in LA currently on order for a hunting rifle build.

I eschew 90 degree bolt lifts and thus 2 lug bolts in favor of 3 lug bolts. The only "Remington footprint" action I know of with 3 lugs is a GA Precision Tempest - for a mere $1,380. so definitely out of your budget.

Perhaps, as suggested above, truing a used action is your best bet.
Or Terminus and Curtis make several actions each. Both 3 lug and 700 clone inletting.

In another post, I asked the community for input on components for a custom build. I stated that I figured I was going to use a Rem700, but a few members mentioned that I should go custom. I have never researched custom actions. My research has made me realize that everyone has a different idea of what the best "value" custom action is. So now, throughly confused, I need help again.

the goal of my build is a lightweight 260 Rem with a carbon fiber barrel and a Grayboe Trekker (non-negoiatble). I'm looking for a good value lightweight short action in a Rem700 footprint. I was going to do a Remage barrel, but I think I'll just get a prefit if I'm going custom. I really want to be around $750 with trigger and rail if possible. Overall budget for the build is around $2k. Would love to hear opinions.
I'm building a 6.5 PRC on a Defiance AnTi short action. It was $950 without trigger, bottom metal and rail. Action weight is 20 oz and all parts parts for the build weigh 5.62 pounds. That includes Talley Light Weight mounts but not the scope. Chambering and barrel work will take a couple more oz's off also. I have a gunsmith that has a couple of the actions if you can swing it.

Attachments

• thumbnail_660184182(1).jpg
    thumbnail_660184182(1).jpg
    207 KB · Views: 91
If your thinking about a bighorn action call James from Northland Shooters Supply. He can hook you up with an action. I'm guessing $875 is the price on the action. He could hook you up with a barrel too possibly he has tons of then instock just depends on timing and what you want exactly.

I'm building a 6.5 PRC on a Defiance AnTi short action. It was $950 without trigger, bottom metal and rail. Action weight is 20 oz and all parts parts for the build weigh 5.62 pounds. That includes Talley Light Weight mounts but not the scope. Chambering and barrel work will take a couple more oz's off also. I have a gunsmith that has a couple of the actions if you can swing it.
What stock is that?

What stock are you using - as shown in your picture.

Hi.
Save up for a quality action. Buy once, cry once. Borden Alpine would be my recommendation. If you really want to push the boat out, then a Borden Rimrock.